09/10/2017 11:25 am  #1

What non-Bing music have you been listening to recently?

In a recent post I noted that Ive been listening to the new Johnny Mathis album (amongst my Bing listening) who at 82 years young has made an album of contemporary songs. He still sounds in fabulous voice.

It got me thinking.....what else is everybody listening to right now??? Both Bing and non-Bing. Interested to see what people are favouring at the moment and see if we can introduce each other to new audio delights.

My current frequent players are:

Johnny Mathis - The Great New American Songbook
Carla Bruni - French Touch
Bing Crosby Through the Years Volume 6
David Crosby (not related) Sky Trails
Carpenters - Made In America.

10/10/2017 1:01 am  #2

Re: What non-Bing music have you been listening to recently?

Sirius Radio has started a Billy Joel channel so I have actually been listening to his music. He was great in the 70s and 80s. 

As for the older fellas, I have been relistening to a lot of Dick Haymes and Tony Martin lately. Tony Martin especially I think is overlooked.

14/10/2017 2:18 am  #3

Billy Joel, you're braver than I am.   I listen to all kinds of music, movie/TV soundtracks, the more obscure the soundtrack the better I like it (as long as it's one of my favorite TV show's or movie's background music).   I don't really listen to one CD at a time anymore though, now I listen to different cuts from literally 100's of different CDs that I've downloaded onto my computer's "Media Player".   Thanks to this marvelous technology I can listen to 100s of my CDs every day (well, cuts from different CDs, as I have the Media Player set to "Random Play" where it picks the next cut from whatever album it goes to next.   This is really what I've always wanted, my own radio station that plays all my favorite music all the time, I never want to "turn the station" anymore, no commercials to suffer thru, just great songs from great albums/CD all the time.   I LOVE IT!!!

Been listening to amongst 100's of others Walter Brennan, Bill Frawley's "Sings The Old Ones" album, "2 For The See-Saw" soundtrack, Bing, of course, (I have more Bing CD downloads than any other artist), Sophie Tucker, Ted Lewis, Jimmy Durante, Jo Stafford, Peggy Lee, Rosie, Nat Cole, Johnny Hartman, Merle Haggard, John Conlee, classic instrumentals from '50's and '60's, Arthurs Godfrey & Tracy, Don Williams, Dean Martin, well, I'll stop myself now.   But every song's a winner in my listening world.   A couple really terrific inventions in my lifetime, DVDs & computers that play music from CDs and MP3  player that plays all my favorite music again downloaded from my computer's CD downloads.   Now even driving in my car it's one great wonderful song after another and NEVER do I feel like "turning the station" anymore. 

Life changing inventions that have made my life so much better.

Last edited by Archiefit (14/10/2017 2:21 am)

15/10/2017 5:37 am  #4

I'm really enjoying the CDs on "The Great American Songbook" by Rod Stewart... who would have imagined that, for those of us who listened to him in the early and mid 1970s!  [By the way, if my recollection is correct, today, October 14, 2017, is 40 years after Bing's death. How much pleasure he still brings so many of us. RIP]
Mark

19/10/2017 3:30 am  #5

This morning I got out some old LPs of Johnny Mathis and Shirley Bassey and heard some beaut songs well sung. This arvo I've enjoyed Jonzo 50 as I once again work me way through the series chronologically and the variety of the songs Bing recorded never ceases to amaze me.

22/11/2017 4:05 pm  #6

After a stretch of listening to primarily Bing Crosby, I have settled into a groove of listening to some old and new favorites, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Michael Buble, Matt Monro, Bing, and a little Sinatra. 

22/11/2017 4:11 pm  #7

After a stretch of listening to primarily Bing Crosby, I have settled into a groove of listening to some old and new favorites, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Michael Buble, Matt Monro, Bing, and a little Sinatra. 

22/11/2017 4:13 pm  #8

Since I have been writing a short piece about him for my blog, Jazz Flashes, I've been listening to the rather obscure '50s and '60s vocalist Frank D'Rone, particularly his 1960 Mercury album After the Ball. Very recommendable.

Besides Bing and Sinatra, I've been listening also to quite a bit of Dick Haymes, one of my favorite crooners from the period. And then, of course, plenty of jazz—Jackie McLean, Stanley Turrentine, Kenny Dorham, Chet Baker, Coleman Hawkins, and on and on...

03/12/2017 7:04 am  #9

Some British dance bands of the 1930s have been entertaining me, thanks to some CDs which friends have given me. The music which groups led by Jack Hylton, Ambrose, Roy Fox and others was splendid and received a lot of airplay on the wireless in Australia in those years.

03/12/2017 7:48 pm  #10

Lately I have been listening to some musical soundtracks - I am rediscovering the soundtrack to Good News (1947) and Silk Stockings (1957).

04/12/2017 1:22 am  #11

I like some of the songs from 'silk stockings'.
Remember seeing the film in Seattle in 1957. Another film in LA was 'invitation to the dance' near Wiltshire Blvd in 1957 and in Vancouver, where I was then living 'around the world'
Like the Astaire song from SS - I like the looks of you.

Board footera