29/7/2017 5:12 pm  #1

CHESTER GAYLORD

Chester Gaylord was one of the busiest recording artists and radio singers of the 1920s and '30s, and yet he is inexplicably forgotten today. Since I have always enjoyed the records he made under his own name and as a singer of vocal refrains for dance bands (not available on CD), I have written an article about him in my blog, The Vintage Bandstand, which you may find here:

https://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com/2017/07/unsung-vocalists-of-past-8-chester.html

Over the course of my research for this article I found out that he recorded with Paul Whiteman in the late '20s and that there is a Bing Crosby connection. Very little has been written about Chester Gaylord. Does anyone know anything about him or about his connection with Bing?

29/7/2017 6:24 pm  #2

Re: CHESTER GAYLORD

Anton, a Charles Gaylord was a member of the Whiteman orchestra. He played violin and was a member of the "sweet" vocal trio. There are three or four dozen records of him  as a member of variable groups with Bing (who was a member of the "hot" trio). These included "You Took Advantage Of Me" where the vocal group consisted of Bing with Jack Fulton, Charles Gaylord and Austin Young
I don't think he is the same as Chester who seems to have had an independent career as a singer and pianist.  Or is he the same?

29/7/2017 6:54 pm  #3

Richard Baker wrote:

Anton, a Charles Gaylord was a member of the Whiteman orchestra. He played violin and was a member of the "sweet" vocal trio. There are three or four dozen records of him  as a member of variable groups with Bing (who was a member of the "hot" trio). These included "You Took Advantage Of Me" where the vocal group consisted of Bing with Jack Fulton, Charles Gaylord and Austin Young
I don't think he is the same as Chester who seems to have had an independent career as a singer and pianist.  Or is he the same?

Richard,

I am not sure if that Charles Gaylord is the same person as Chester Gaylord. Chester was a singer and pianist from Massachusetts, the one I write about in my piece, and I don't think he could play violin. However, the article by Chet Williamson that I mention at the end of my piece states that Chester Gaylord sang with Whiteman and was paired up with other singers like Bing Crosby. That may be, perhaps, because Mr. Williamson is mistaking Charles and Chester Gaylord. And yet, this YouTube video credits a "Chester Gaylord" on vocals on Pops' version of "You Took Advantage of Me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiwH47T2CSk 

It could be Chester Gaylord, but I guess it could also be Charles Gaylord, I am not sure. Thus, for now I may delete what I wrote in my piece about "You Took Advantage on Me."

Any further information about Chester Gaylord, anyone? He isn't as well remembered as Bing, Vallee, Columbo, and Austin, but he's their contemporary, and in my opinion, he's a fine singer.

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (29/7/2017 6:55 pm)

16/8/2017 6:45 am  #4

Anton, thanks for introducing me to Chester Gaylord. Unless I heard him on one of the late Rich Conaty's BIG BROADCAST programs I'd not heard him before. He had a pleasant voice and delivery, didn't he.

Board footera