06/7/2017 3:02 am  #1

El Senor Bing

As I add new albums to my collection I find that I'd like to share my thoughts on them. I was going to comment on existing posts but some are a few years old and so new posts seem to make more sense. 

"El Senor Bing", this is another album where my opinion differs greatly with that of Steven Lewis and that of Ken Barnes. Hey, we're ALL entitled to our opinions but I mention it because this is an album that I almost passed on because after reading Steven Lewis' evaluation and Barnes negative opinion of it. I'm glad I didn't!

To me, this is an interesting album. Bing sounds in good form here. His voice is strong (robust?) and smooth. Each track is a combination of two songs, which at a glance would make this sounds like one of the "sing-a-long" albums that Bing had started to do at around this same time but clearly by the manner of singing this was not meant to be a "sing-a-long" Instead this really is a concept album combining 'like' songs, this amuses me because I frequently make CD's of favorite artists matching them up in a one vs. the other format picking songs that I think match up well. 

The accompaniment is provided by Billy May and his Orchestra and to me this really sets this effort apart from some of Crosby's earlier albums that featured a really stripped down sound. I find it odd that some of those earlier efforts are thought of more highly then "El Senor Bing" because to my ears they really lack the full sound found on this album. Also I this might be one of Bing's best album covers, right up there with "New Tricks". 

I think "El Senor Bing" brings Crosby into the 1960's in great style and is just a notch below some of his best late 50's albums. I'd give this one a B+

09/7/2017 10:37 am  #2

Re: El Senor Bing

Le Bing is one of my favourites.

Highlights the diversity in styles Bing performed and how even in his fan base he could divide opinions to such polar opposites.

09/7/2017 2:01 pm  #3

Archiefit wrote:

OK, now you've done it, you just named one of my 2 least favorite Bing albums.  In fact this is an album I haven't even bothered to listen to in years.  I sure never downloaded it into my Media Player, if I never hear it again it'll be just fine with me.  The other Bing album I hope to never hear again is Le Bing.

First off, thank you Archefit for replying to my post. I was disappointed that this one and a few others hadn't gotten any responses, so you have made my day. 

I'm curious to know why don't you like "El Senor Bing"? One of the things I was hoping for with these posts was to get feedback on what about certain album someone liked or didn't like. 

To me, I think "El Senor Bing" is sort of a continuation of the albums that preceded it, "Bing Sings", "Bing With A Beat", and "Fancy Meeting You Here". By that I mean they feature Bing singing to the sound of a full orchestra or band. In comparison to a few of his other albums from the 50's that have Bing singing along to simpler sparser arrangements. I don't think "El Senor Bing" is as good as the other albums I mentioned but I enjoy what Billie May brought to it and find Bing to be in good voice. 

I have "Le Bing" as part of the "Through The Years" collection but have not had the opportunity to listen to it yet. Your comments and Kevin's may spur me to listen to it sooner than later. 

23/10/2017 9:37 pm  #4

I listened to this one quite recently and have to confess that I also wasn't too fond of it. You'd think the combination Latin+Billy May+Bing would work out, but unfortunately, it didn't (at least for me). I would have preferred if Bing would have concentrated on just a few Latin standards (like Mel Tormé did with Billy May) instead of doing this album of medleys. Somehow, it doesn't sound right. The degraded sound quality of the CD - most likely mastered from vinyl due to missing master tapes - makes the album barely listenable to me. The mono version is a bit better, still no winner...

Board footera