08/2/2017 10:28 am  #26

Re: Buddy Bregman

What I find baffling is that there were several 12 inch LP issues which dropped two songs. I cannot imagine what the justification might be. Granted that they might have been on cheap labels but it presumably added to costs as new masters would have been needed, instead of pressing from existing masters. 

And why also just title the issue with Bing's name, dropping the distinguishing elements of the title?

08/2/2017 7:38 pm  #27

Richard,
Talking of heavy arms - every time I visited my Nana I asked could I play the one Bing 78 stored in the old wind up gramophone. The 78 was 'Thanks' with Black Moonlight'  on the reverse. That poor old 78 was so worn that I had to turn the speed dial  down to about 60rpm to make it sound like Bing.
Can't alter the speed on turntables these days.
It is a wonder that the old 78's last so long.

08/2/2017 9:39 pm  #28

Ron Field wrote:

Richard,

Can't alter the speed on turntables these days.

Ron, That depends on the T/T!  My current "best" T/T, has the standard 33/45/78 but also a variation of plus and minus of up to 20% on each of them. It also plays in reverse, very useful when transcribing worn discs, which can then be reversed back to normal in the digital domain.

09/3/2017 5:28 am  #29

Yes Richard, that's it.

09/3/2017 9:48 am  #30

That's right, some turntables do offer the ability to slow down or speed up the record a bit to make the album sound correct to the ear.   I have 3 Al Jolson albums "Legend Of..." series which all have great songs from Jolie mostly from his radio shows, but the albums are all sped up when played at a normal 33.  If I wasn't able to slow them down, and I mean down as much as possible, Al would have sounded like Mickey Mouse.  This  is one case when playing an album sounds better when transferred over to CD and played thru the CD and now Media Player on the computer that the natural sound is much much improved.   Now Al sounds natural like he should have in the first place.  I think whoever made this album series must have purposely sped up the recordings in order to fit more songs on the album.  There are loads of songs on each album, thank goodness for making CDs of albums in this case to restore the proper sound.

Last edited by Archiefit (09/3/2017 9:51 am)

Board footera