06/12/2016 12:11 am  #1

Holiday Inn VS White Christmas

Since the election for President in the States is over now, I figure you would be in the mood to vote for your favorite Bing Crosby holiday film - Holiday Inn (1942) or White Christmas (1954). 

Rock the vote! 

Which Christmas Movie Do You Prefer...

07/12/2016 11:32 am  #2

Re: Holiday Inn VS White Christmas

I agree with Lee - the colour version of Holiday Inn is stupendous and it's the one to have - and vote for!

Years ago I saw James Stewart's "It's A Wonderful Life" that had been artificially coloured and I thought it was dreadful - an experience never to be repeated, so I initially resisted getting Holiday Inn, but technology has come a long way and what has been done is unbelievable in comparison. (I see that UK Channel 5 is due to show "It's A Wonderful Life" in colour shortly. Hope it's been improved since the one that I saw).

But, Lee, "Say One For Me"? Really? I think It's among the very few in Bing's "better not done at all" category, though I agree a couple of the songs stand up on their own merits, divorced from the film.

07/12/2016 4:13 pm  #3

The colour version that the late Ken Barnes did was really good. Colours nice and soft compared to other films that were converted. I was a bit apprehensive to buying HI in colour.
I think I prefer HI over WC. Maybe because of the songs.
I know they were only films and story lines but both Fred and Danny gave me the 'pip' the way they kept on white an ting Bing (Fred) and the carry on from Danny re injury.
May be I'm too sensitive.
Oh, here in Morton - 100 mile from Seattle, 50 from Mt. Rainier we've had about 6" of the white stuff with more to come on Thursday.

08/12/2016 3:48 pm  #4

Don't remember that song in the film.

11/12/2016 1:54 pm  #5

I'm adding a post to this thread just to keep it open and on top in the expectation (or vain hope) that we might get more than just eight votes. We have many times more than that signed up to this board and quite a few casual visitors. Where are you all?  Do you really have no preferences? 

Go to the opening message of this thread and punch in your vote.
===================

Action! Now 12 in total. 
Fairly positive inclination to Holiday Inn.

Last edited by Richard Baker (12/12/2016 7:36 am)

15/12/2016 10:01 am  #6

I voted for White Christmas, but for purely nostalgic reasons. The family gathering around the TV at Christmas for the annual screening of the film was my first introduction to Bing - as I'm sure it was for many people.
Having said that, I think Holiday Inn is the better film. Much as I like the pairing of Bing and Danny, Bing and Fred are peerless and the whole "look" of HI has much more of the Golden Age of Hollywood about it.
The "colorisation" question is interesting. I think it's very much horses for courses. I love the colour version of HI, but looking through a list of other great films released in 1942, I certainly wouldn't want to see Casablanca in colour. Yankee Doodle Dandy would be good, though...

16/12/2016 5:24 pm  #7

'The Secret of Christmas' fromSay one For Me is my favourite non- religious Christmas song.
I use the words - it's not the things you do at Christmas time, but the Christmas things you do all year through - on my Christmas greetings

28/12/2016 9:09 pm  #8

If I could, I'd take both, but if I have to pick, it would have to be Holiday Inn, not only because I think it has better songs, but because the pairing of Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby is simply fantastic. White Christmas is a very good musical, possibly inspired to a certain extent by Holiday Inn, but the latter is simply a superb musical any way we look at it. From a present-day perspective, though, the blackface number on "Abraham" (not one of my favorite songs in the movie anyway) may have hurt Holiday Inn somewhat, because it's an unfortunate choice (anachronistic already in the '40s) and arguably makes it harder to sell this fantastic movie to present-day audiences.

Board footera