16/11/2016 7:15 pm  #1

Beautiful Looking Star Night At The CoCanut Grove

A few days back TCM showed a beautiful (it must be a restored version, though no mention was made of that) version of STAR NIGHT AT THE COCANUT GROVE.  The color was brilliant and bright, Bing's too brief scene was in beautiful glowing color.  They may have gone overboard on the makeup for Bing as it almost looked like he was wearing lipstick.  But it was a beautiful picture and most welcome and surprising to be seen on TCM.  I don't remember this film being shown on TCM before.  Unfortunately (I checked) it's not part of TCM's website "Movies On Demand" section.  But it was a pleasant surprise indeed to see this little gem

19/11/2016 7:30 am  #2

Re: Beautiful Looking Star Night At The CoCanut Grove

This popped up on TCM in the UK some years ago too.

19/11/2016 4:00 pm  #3

TCM did list it as starring Gary Cooper. I only saw a snippet or two but saw Jack Oakie.

22/11/2016 12:12 am  #4

No fanfare or announcement was made of this Star Night showing either.  I just happened to check out the TCM schedule and there it was.   That's how easy it would have been to miss it. 

Now if only TCM would show Top O' The Morning.

23/11/2016 7:41 pm  #5

Was it the same print that was released as a bonus on this TCM Collection?

https://www.amazon.com/TCM-Greatest-Classic-Film-Collection/dp/B00406UJZG/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1479929956&sr=1-4&keywords=tcm+greatest+classic+films+collection

...or are you saying it was an even better print? If so, I'm sorry I missed seeing it!

Zane Johnson

24/11/2016 2:30 am  #6

Oh!  I didn't even know it was available on that DVD.   Sorry, since I haven't seen the DVD I don't know.  But the color was very bright, Bing looked like he had red lipstick.  If the color was real bright on the DVD it is probably the same.  If the color is faded on the DVD then this was a better looking version on TCM.

Board footera