25/3/2016 1:30 pm  #1

What is your favourite 'era' for Bing recordings?

I'm sure most of us have our favourite moments in Bing's long and illustrious discography, but more and more often I like to go back to the 1920s material and his early solo career: 1926-1934. I love all of his music, but there were SO many classic recording's in that period, and his voice, while husky was just incredible. Bing was unparalleled during that period in terms of vocal performances, spell binding in fact.

Here are 'just' some of my favourites from that time: 

I'm Coming Virginia 
Mississippi Mud
You Took Advantage Of Me
Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)
My Kinda Love
Happy Feet
Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moonlight 
One More Time
I Surrender, Dear
Just One More Chance
I'm Through With Love
Star Dust
Dinah 
St. Louis Blues
Some Of These Days
How Deep Is The Ocean?
Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
Sweet Sue, Just You
You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me
My Honey's Lovin' Arms 
Temptation
Did You Ever See A Dream Walking?
Ridin' Around In The Rain
Love In Bloom
Let Me Call You Sweetheart
With Every Breath I Take

Last edited by SamMcK (25/3/2016 1:37 pm)

25/3/2016 7:56 pm  #2

Re: What is your favourite 'era' for Bing recordings?

I Love them all but my favorite era-His Crooner era. I love his 1930's Crooner voice. No one Crooned as good as Bing! Great question Sam! Carmela

Peace and Love! 

25/3/2016 11:54 pm  #3

Thank you! I couldn't agree more, but every era of his career has numerous highlights. Particularly in the mid-50s and later on during the end of his life (1975-1977) when he recorded some great albums like Seasons. I always wish we could have got a few more albums (and another Road picture!) out of him, but he'd already given so much in his lifetime that its hard to complain too much. I'm only 21 so there's still so much for me to absorb of his career!

26/3/2016 10:00 am  #4

You have a good CDs worth there Sam. 
I am sure that there are many who will agree with you and you have picked the best of that period. We all have our preferences though, and I'd add "Ol' Man River" to that group.

For myself I do not really like to go too far in compartmentalizing Bing's record output. Yes, styles changed, very obviously in the transition from the big band singer to solo vocalist, others more gradually. But within each era there was still a mixture of styles, suited to the songs, showing Bing's versatility. My own preferences can change with my own moods - as to whether I want something up-beat or more relaxing etc, at any particular time.

But I also mentally carry around my own personal listing of songs that I do not think Bing should ever have agreed to tackle. (Note that I do not put the blame at his door). Sometimes I think he was too accommodating to Jack Kapp's wish for him to cover all types of genre and subject matter. "There's Nothing I Haven't Sung About" might be true but the song "Poor Old Rover" for example, should have been shot, along with the poor animal, and there are a few others that repose in my personal "sin bin".

26/3/2016 10:43 am  #5

I haven't heard that one yet! But i'd even argue positives about songs like his version of Hey Jude which I find quite endearing. I think the reason for that is because there's nothing condescending about how he sings a songs. He'll give it a good and honest take, regardless of what the song is! Sometimes it depends more on other vocalists, like at the start of Sweet Leilani with Lani McCintire(?) Which isn't always my favourite version.

Speaking of compiling Crosby songs, I have made some compilations recently which I might post on the forum soon. I even made some artwork to go along with it which was quite fun! Besides that though i'll often play them on shuffle on iTunes, which is great fun when you just want non-stop Bing.

26/3/2016 11:49 am  #6

SamMcK wrote:

- -  Sweet Leilani with Lani McCintire(?).

Lani McIntire but also sometimes Lani McIntyre

26/3/2016 10:07 pm  #7

Sam, I thought I was a young Bing Fan at 51. I was around 28 when I became a dedicated fan back in the early 90's. But I always loved Bing. Since I was a little girl, I was hooked.

Peace and Love! 

27/3/2016 1:31 am  #8

48blonde wrote:

Sam, I thought I was a young Bing Fan at 51. I was around 28 when I became a dedicated fan back in the early 90's. But I always loved Bing. Since I was a little girl, I was hooked.

That's cool, I guess I was lucky that I grew up with in a family that loves Frank Sinatra and Dean, which of course led to me wanting to find out more about the originator! and the rest as they say, is history! Of course seeing High Society on TV was probably when I first really took notice of Bing, and the advent of YouTube has been a blessing when I wanted to find out more.

Board footera