26/4/2015 6:37 pm  #1

Mail Call 25 April 1945

This Board has a number of posts linking to the Star Spangled Radio Hour, with Crosby radio shows.

This one (Mail Call) is not of Bing, but interesting because of the historical context, with a numnber of stars linked to Bing - including one Francis Albert Sinatra, (mercilessly teased about a lack of girth) , Betty Hutton and Meredith Willson, recorded on 25th April 1945 a matter of days before  Adolf Hitler committed suicide. The Russians had just about surrounded Berlin and the allies were advancing eastwards. The end of WWII was in sight and no longer a distant hope but an imminent certainty.

References to Bing and "Here Come The Waves" (with Betty playing twin sisters). Frank doesn't go to the Paramount because "there's too much chance of running into a Bing Crosby picture" 

http://media.studio1430.com/a/104480493/ssrh-4-25-15.htm

"MAIL CALL 142 DEDICATED TO THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY Wednesday, April 25, 1945 NBC Hollywood Studio D Ken Niles announcer Betty Hutton, host With Frank Sinatra, Vivian Blaine, William Demarest, B. S. Pulley, the King Sisters, Major Meredith Willson and the AFRS Orchestra"

27/4/2015 5:13 am  #2

Re: Mail Call 25 April 1945

25th. April 2015. 100 years ago saw the landing of the Anzacs at Gallipoli.
It was a very big day in ANZAC territory with huge crowds attending Dawn Services through out both countries. I was all set to attend the Bermagui service ( having showered and breakfast) and had an allergy attack so I missed out but saw Services on TV from Australia, Turkey and France and in the news NZ and London.

21/12/2015 8:47 am  #3

A couple of interesting shows featuring Bing on the Star Spangled Radio Hour on Saturday. Go to http://media.studio1430.com/a/111924632/ssrh-12-19-15.htm for further details. I didn't know anything at all about the "Wings over the World" show. Well worth a listen.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (21/12/2015 8:48 am)

21/12/2015 7:15 pm  #4

Thank you for posting this link Malcolm.

Arising from it I should say that the station responsible for "The Star Spangled Radio Hour", KEZW, have issued a very long statement about their future.  It seems that there have been changes of ownership and control and many consequences are noted. Much of their content is switching channels or being terminated but my reading of the notice is that they relate to their AM and FM broadcasts whilst the internet presence of  "The Star Spangled Radio Hour" will remain unchanged. (I quote the part of the notice that covers this content) -

"- - - The distinct “Star Spangled Radio Hour” will continue to be produced every week as usual for our worldwide internet audience and available as always at the KEZW website right where it is now. The vast majority of our strong global audience is arguably online. Starting with Program 291, January 2, 2016, our Denver local market audience is invited to come over to our digital home and continue to enjoy the historic and entertaining broadcasts and recordings of Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, the entire big band era and great American Songbook. Our Denver listeners will discover the awesome experience of pristine audio restorations and their favorite artists available every week with new and exciting original performances in crystal clear sound.
Another advantage is that now our programs can be enhanced to include two complete ½ hour original broadcasts, four 15-minute broadcasts or free-form episodes not restricted by a 45 to 48 minute time limit. So you can expect us to become creative during the new year and offer even more of the wonderful discoveries we are honored to share from the Glenn Miller Archive and beyond. To paraphrase a current film release, the force is strong among the SSRH community and the force will continue to be with us.
Rick and I will have more to say about this in the coming weeks. For now and for all of our loyal listeners, please enjoy a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. “New Year’s Eve With Glenn Miller” will appear online and on the air at AM-1430 on Thursday, December 31, 2015. SSRH 290 will appear online and on the air at AM-1430 Saturday, December 26, 2015. Thereafter, the “Star Spangled Radio Hour” will appear as usual online at the KEZW “Crusin’ Oldies” website, and better than ever.
Thank you for your support and encouragement,"

18/1/2016 5:49 am  #5

Although there was a statement to assure us about the future of "The Star Spangled Radio Hour" in December, it has not appeared since. 

Those who connected to the link will know that it consisted of mainly Glenn Miller material, but there were frequent visits to Bing Crosby's KMH and sometimes AFRS and Mail Call Broadcasts.

I have contacted Dennis Spragg of Colorado in order to attempt to find out what has happened.

18/1/2016 8:15 pm  #6

Dennis Spragg has replied to my enquiry about the future of "The Star Spangled Radio Hour" - 

"Richard, Thank you for getting in touch and your loyalty to our SSRH program. The target date for completion of the new KEZW website has changed to Jan. 25 When it goes live we will immediately spread the word. All of our weekly programs for January are produced and ready to go. Listeners will not miss anything as all of the weekly episodes will be detailed and posted online as normal. Please stand by and we greatly appreciate your patience. 
Dennis M Spragg"

19/2/2016 8:05 am  #7

Anyone know what's happening with The Star Spangled Radio Hour?

19/2/2016 8:14 am  #8

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

In the light of failure to reappear as was promised (see my earlier note) I dropped an email to Dennis Spragg.

I have now chased up on it.

29/2/2016 10:01 pm  #9

Richard Baker wrote:

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

In the light of failure to reappear as was promised (see my earlier note) I dropped an email to Dennis Spragg.

I have now chased up on it.

As yet I have had no response. There has been no activity since December 26th on the internet streaming site.

15/5/2016 6:45 am  #10

Board footera