11/1/2016 7:34 am  #1

David Bowie

The death has been announced twenty minutes ago,  today January 11th 2016, of David Bowie, at the age of 69 of cancer.

Possibly the most unlikely of duet partners with Bing. I remember my surprise when he "dropped in" to that castle where Bing was allegedly staying on Bing's last TV show, and they sang  "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" together.

David Robert Jones - Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie.
Singer - popstar - musician - artist - actor - producer - a man of many personas and multi talents.

No doubt over the next few days there will be many obits.

11/1/2016 12:33 pm  #2

Re: David Bowie

I always loved the British when it came to Rock music. The Beatles, Elton John, David Bowie ect..David Bowie was different and ahead of his time. May he RIP.

Peace and Love! 

11/1/2016 4:43 pm  #3

In many ways, David Bowie was as much an icon in the '70s and '80s as Bing was in the '30s and '40s, even though, of course, their image and type of music were radically different. Their duet on Bing's last TV show, rather than a clash between generations was really a friendly encounter between two different generations, and the mere fact that it happened speaks volumes about how accepting Bing was of new trends in pop music. R.I.P. David Bowie—I hope you're somewhere crooning with Bing!

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (12/1/2016 2:15 pm)

12/1/2016 10:54 am  #4

Anton G.-F. wrote:

In many ways, David Bowie was as much an icon in the '70s and '80s and Bing was in the '30s and '40s, even though, of course, their image and type of music were radically different. Their duet on Bing's last TV show, rather than a clash between generations was really a friendly encounter between two different generations, and the mere fact that it happened speaks volumes about how accepting Bing was of new trends in pop music. R.I.P. David Bowie—I hope you're somewhere crooning with Bing!

Very well put,  Anton. 

12/1/2016 4:20 pm  #5

There has been the odd clip shown with Bing too.
On the ABC.com.au there is a clip of David in an outback pub as well, out near 'the back of Bourke'. The pub was being renovated and the locals said leave the tile wall alone that David stood in front of.
Our pubs used to look like big bathrooms having tiled walls and floors.
Every morning going to work I'd pass the local and the hoses were out and the blokes in their gum boots. Most pubs have carpet these days.
But have a look at the clip - quite good.

12/1/2016 4:42 pm  #6

The name of the small country town is Carinda. It is east of Bourke.
And Bing gets a mention in the London Telegraph in the obit.

Board footera