11/3/2011 12:55 pm  #1

Bing's record labels

At the start of Bing's recording career he was an anonymous 'vocal refrain' and the labels were the stock designs of the issuing company. Frequently the really big name recognised by the public  featured in the gloriously individual designs dreamt up by Columbia, primarily green, orange with a beaming head -of Paul Whiteman.  Bing remained anonymous.

As Bing progressed in public recognition he obtained label credits but on stock designs.

Then came the time when he also deserved his own individual designs - and in some ways he outdid Whiteman because he actually had new purpose created designs for each of several records.

Have a look at Jon Oye's site where he has examples of each of the types I mention - including the lovely ones for 'Blue Hawaii' and 'Smarty'.

But then back to a stock design for 'White Christmas'.

Where's the justice in that?

Towards the bottom of this page, http://derbingle.blogspot.com/p/bing-crosby-memorabilia-advertising-and.html to which I have previously drawn attention under the 'Links' section.

Now here's an oddity. Jon has apologised for his frequent additions to his pages! More please Jon. Your private museum deserves a public airing.

12/3/2011 7:55 am  #2

Re: Bing's record labels

It certainly is a great collection. I wonder if there are some other Crosby collectors out there who would like to display their treasures too? If they don't want to set up a blog, could they put their pictures on this site Richard and if so, how should they do it?

12/3/2011 8:26 am  #3

Re: Bing's record labels

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

It certainly is a great collection. I wonder if there are some other Crosby collectors out there who would like to display their treasures too? If they don't want to set up a blog, could they put their pictures on this site Richard and if so, how should they do it?

I can embed graphics on this site, and if anyone would like to add things of that nature I will be very pleased either to do it for them or to give step by step directions. There are in fact some instructions under the topic  'TUTORIAL Including images'  in the 'Discussion Board Use and Registration Issues' Heading.

I'd be happy also to add links and references to sites set up by others- the more the merrier.

It is also possible to add things to the 'companion' site to this discussion board, accessed by clicking on 'CROSBY FAN WORLD HOME PAGE' at the head of these pages. A discussion board is probably not the best place to post permanent items, and the option of using CROSBY FAN WORLD HOME PAGE and associated pages might be more appropriate.  I am working on getting some scans of historic LPs  up on it, but any ideas or, even better contributions would be very welcome

Board footera