04/8/2015 5:35 pm  #1

Ken Barnes

I am sorry to report that Ken passed away this morning after suffering a massive heart attack at the weekend. I have passed on the sincere condolences of us all to his wife Anne. We shall always be grateful for all he did for Bing's career, particularly in the 1970s.

04/8/2015 8:08 pm  #2

Re: Ken Barnes

That is the saddest news I received this year. He always had a moment to talk to Bing fans, and I am grateful to the correspondence we had back and forth over the years. Here are a few pictures of the genius that was and is Ken Barnes...

http://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2015/08/rip-ken-barnes.html

This is a sad sad day for Bing fans.

RIP - Ken

04/8/2015 8:23 pm  #3

RIP, Ken. The recordings he did with Bing in the 1970's are some of my favorite recordings of all time by Bing.

Zane Johnson

04/8/2015 8:26 pm  #4

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

I am sorry to report that Ken passed away this morning after suffering a massive heart attack at the weekend. I have passed on the sincere condolences of us all to his wife Anne. We shall always be grateful for all he did for Bing's career, particularly in the 1970s.

A great loss of a truly major player in the last few years of the Crosby story.

04/8/2015 10:27 pm  #5

Being mostly a fan of the "Latter Day" Bing, this really saddens me. Ken did some marvelous work for Bing. RIP Ken.  As Dean used to say "I hope the Dear Lord takes a likin' to ya!" 

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

04/8/2015 10:38 pm  #6

Rest in Peace Ken! I met Ken at Hofstra and kept intouch with him through the years. Great loss. Great talent and a sweet man.

Peace and Love! 

04/8/2015 10:42 pm  #7

How old was Ken?

Peace and Love! 

04/8/2015 10:44 pm  #8

My tribute to a great friend and a great Bing Crosby fan...

05/8/2015 5:23 am  #9

So glad to have met up with Ken and Anne at last year's Leeds meeting.
Had been in touch a couple of times since meeting at Hofstra.
So good that they were at Leeds last year to tell us some nice stories.
Thanks Ken for getting Bing back in the recording studios in the 70's.
RIP Ken and may God keep you safe Anne in this sad time.

05/8/2015 7:30 am  #10

Oh that's such sad news. I met Ken just once, at Leeds last year when he kindly signed my copy of his book which I took along on the day. I was enthralled by his recollections of working with Bing. How lucky for us all that Ken was able to coax so much wonderful stuff out of Bing.  Seasons was the first Bing album I bought in December 1977, so it has a very special place on my list. God Bless Anne, and THANK YOU, KEN!

05/8/2015 4:22 pm  #11

Lobosco, nice one - thank you.

19/8/2015 8:52 am  #12

At last, a reasonably good obituary for Ken here 

A picture of a man of many accomplishments - as they say "writer, record producer, broadcaster, musicologist, film historian, film-maker and songwriter".

The funeral is tomorrow, Thursday  August 20th at 12.40 pm at Basildon & District Crematorium, Church Road, Bowers Gifford, Basildon, Essex.

19/8/2015 9:06 am  #13

Hi Richard - I was just about to post the same obit!

Some nice photos and a lot of references to Ken's work with Bing.

16/10/2015 11:29 am  #14

I have thought about Ken many times since reading Malcolm's email announcement about his death this past spring. Recently, I upgraded the phono cartridge and stylus on my turntable, and in testing out the new set-up I played my "Seasons" LP.  It sounded better than ever!  So wonderful.  I kept thinking:  "God bless Ken Barnes."

Board footera