07/11/2013 10:41 am  #1

BING magazine

The winter issue will be available at the end of November. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/ and click on the Latest News link for further details.

07/11/2013 10:17 pm  #2

Re: BING magazine

Great news, Malcolm!  We also need to think about renewing our ICC memberships with the new year coming, too!

28/11/2013 4:22 pm  #3

Looks like it will now be early December before you get your copy.

04/4/2014 5:08 pm  #4

The spring edition of BING magazine is at the printers and will be distributed in the next week or so. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING166.htm

08/8/2014 3:55 pm  #5

The summer issue of BING magazine is being distributed. See www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING167.htm for contents.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (08/8/2014 7:37 pm)

09/8/2014 11:09 am  #6

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

The summer issue of BING magazine is being distributed. See www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING167.htm for contents.

- with some very interesting news of the discovery of some recordings of the earliest Kraft radio shows.

13/8/2014 12:53 am  #7

Good, I need something to read near the pool. Great job on the last issue!

Peace and Love! 

02/10/2014 2:39 pm  #8

Richard Baker wrote:

- with some very interesting news of the discovery of some recordings of the earliest Kraft radio shows.

Agreed.  I finally got my issue in my hands and was able to sit down and read that fascinating story about the Kraft shows.  I hope that some time in the near future that the ICC will have some way for us to hear this amazing discovery!

Zane Johnson

02/10/2014 2:47 pm  #9

Also, I question for Richard and/or Malcolm,

How does Wig and Jim Reilly's new/updated book, "The Definitive Bing Crosby Discography" compare to the discography Richard has painstakingly compiled online?  I know it solely focuses on the commercial recordings, but I was just curious.  Thank you!

Zane Johnson

02/10/2014 3:48 pm  #10

Zane,  we are discussing with John  Newton the best way to get a CD issued of the newly discovered Kraft material. Hope to have some news soon.

03/10/2014 8:52 am  #11

Zane, re the discography, Wig tells me that the format and purposes of the two discographies are entirely different,

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (03/10/2014 8:53 am)

03/10/2014 10:35 am  #12

Zane, re the discography, Wig tells me that the format and purposes of the two discographies are entirely different,

Zane,  I confirm that I see it that way too. We are not competing, and we do exchange information.

13/10/2014 9:18 pm  #13

Thank you, Richard and Malcolm.  I ordered one from Wig late last week. I am anxious to see its contents.

Zane Johnson

31/10/2014 5:09 pm  #14

Richard Baker wrote:

Zane,  I confirm that I see it that way too. We are not competing, and we do exchange information.

How would you characterize this? Your online discography is of course very flexible, easy to update and incredibly detailed. I was considering ordering the print discography sometime in the near future - is that more of a handy physical reference to have nearby?

31/10/2014 7:57 pm  #15

Azteca wrote:

How would you characterize this? Your online discography is of course very flexible, easy to update and incredibly detailed. I was considering ordering the print discography sometime in the near future - is that more of a handy physical reference to have nearby?

Unless "Wig" Wiggins is changing the format of his discography, I would regard it as a master listing of all studio recordings with a note of the catalogue number of the original issue, whether 78, LP or CD

My listing makes no attempt to cover issues in this way.

My approach was to attempt to list CDs on which the songs appear, primarily based on my own collection. 

I have only shown LPs in relation to radio and soundtrack material (because when I commenced it there had been very few CDs covering recordings of such origin). At present I list no 78s.

Both of us try to list all known recordings by recording date.

And yes, it is also very handy to have the printed version to hand.

31/10/2014 9:02 pm  #16

Richard Baker wrote:

*snip*

Thank you for your response, Richard. I was a bit addled and didn't do my homework. Looking at your discography with a more careful eye I see this:

My intention is to list the recordings of Bing in a way that shows what songs are on which CDs (and for radio broadcasts only, LPs).

That is very valuable and as you said, fills a very different need than Wig's.
Now I know!

Last edited by Azteca (31/10/2014 9:03 pm)

02/11/2014 1:29 am  #17

Does anyone know when Wigs is sending out the discography? I sent a check but wasn't sure when the book was coming out.

02/11/2014 6:51 am  #18

It will be another month or two I think.

02/11/2014 6:36 pm  #19

Lobosco wrote:

Does anyone know when Wigs is sending out the discography? I sent a check but wasn't sure when the book was coming out.

Slight delay because of need to include new information. Better be accurate and up to date even if short delay.

11/11/2014 4:15 pm  #20

The winter issue of BING magazine wil be available at the end of November. See  http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING168.htm

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (11/11/2014 4:17 pm)

24/11/2014 8:54 pm  #21

Excellent news concerning the what's to be done with the unearthed Kraft Music Hall shows/JSP, Malcolm!

Zane Johnson

14/4/2015 11:15 pm  #22

I just got my copy of the "BING" for Spring 2015 yesterday.  I mailed my check to Wig today for the "Kraft Music Hall" CD.  This is one CD I am very much looking forward to!

Zane Johnson

30/7/2015 6:33 am  #23

The summer issue of BING magazine is at the printers. See http://bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BING170.htm

31/7/2015 6:47 pm  #24

"...we are giving some thought to a further release of rare items."

Please DO, Malcolm!

Zane Johnson

01/8/2015 7:00 am  #25

zanereed wrote:

"...we are giving some thought to a further release of rare items."

Please DO, Malcolm!

Yes, bring them on. 

Board footera