03/6/2015 2:35 pm  #1

PINKY TOMLIN AND "THE OBJECT OF MY AFFECTION"

"The Object of My Affection" was one of the biggest hits of the 1930s, and it's a song I've always loved and that Bing also recorded (I have it on Bing in Dixieland, I think). I recently published a piece on the man who wrote it, Pinky Tomlin, in The Vintage Bandstand, which you may find here:

http://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com/2015/06/songwriter-spotlight-pinky-tomlin.html

I illustrated the article with a picture I found on the internet that shows Pinky and Bing together, and I was wondering if anyone might know when and where that meeting took place. It looks like it might have been on the set of Mississippi. Is that possible? Or perhaps during a radio broadcast?

03/6/2015 3:59 pm  #2

Re: PINKY TOMLIN AND "THE OBJECT OF MY AFFECTION"

Anton, I am sure that you are correct - the photo is on the set of "Mississippi" in 1934 (I think Bing's clothes are something of a clue).

Tomlin was also a guest on the Woodbury radio show of 18th December 1934.. I suppose it is remotely possible that Bing dashed from the Mississippi set in that finery to the radio studio, but unlikely!

19/6/2015 1:21 am  #3

What a beaut tribute Anton. I believe Bing sang another Pinky Tomlin song on KMH in 1940, 'Love is all', written with Harry Tobias

19/6/2015 1:47 pm  #4

Thanks for your comment, Graham! I had no idea that Bing had sung Tomlin's "Love Is All" on the KMH and have never heard it. It's a beautiful song, though, and here it is performed by Deanna Durbin in the movie It's a Date:

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (19/6/2015 1:47 pm)

07/7/2015 6:42 am  #5

What a splendid voice Deanna Durbin had and the clarity of that excerpt from the movie is great. I don't recall seeing any of her movies but perhaps I was too young to enjoy musicals when they were released, preferring instead Abbott & Costello and Hopalong Cassidy.

Board footera