29/5/2015 4:19 pm  #1

BOBBY HACKETT ON "SAM'S SONG"?

I was driving around town in the car today when I chanced to hear Bing and Gary harmonizing on "Sam's Song" on the 40s Junction channel of SiriusXM, which brings about a question that I am hoping someone can help me with. Is it Bobby Hackett playing trumpet or cornet on that session?

There are some obbligatos that sound a little bit like the kind of work that Hackett did with Sinatra on Columbia sides like "I've Got a Crush on You" and "Body and Soul." Certainly not a very important or pressing question, but I am just curious and hope someone might know the answer! Thanks in advance! 

29/5/2015 5:33 pm  #2

Re: BOBBY HACKETT ON "SAM'S SONG"?

Fred Reynolds book says that it is Manny Klein on trumpet. 

29/5/2015 5:49 pm  #3

- - and Malcolm himself quotes Gary Crosby from "Going My Own Way" in "Bing Crosby - Day By Day" thus - 

"Finally that part of the session was over. The backup singers and most of the musicians waved good-bye to the old man. Then, after a short break, Matty Matlock, Manny Klein, Nick Fatool and four or five other good Dixieland players came back in and began rehearsing the chart of “Sam’s Song.” While they were getting it together, Dad took me off to one side, and each time they ran it down he took me through the song again, adding little details and changing the routine to make it play better." 

Manny Klein (trumpet) and Nick Fatool (drums) are the only musicians habitually named for the session. I have never been able to find authoritative listings for the full composition of the Matlock All Stars. Pointers to quality information would be gratefully received.

29/5/2015 7:26 pm  #4

Thanks, Malcolm and Richard, for your quick response!

It makes sense that it would be Manny Klein, and not Bobby Hackett, on that session. After all, Klein did work quite a few sessions with Bing, and his style isn't really too far apart from Hackett's, though I think Hackett is usually a little bit more lyrical than Klein, particularly on ballads.

Oh, and Nick Fatool is a wonderfully subtle drummer, who also worked with Sinatra quite a bit.

30/5/2015 5:44 pm  #5

And let's remember also that Nick Fatool was part of the Buddy Cole group on all the CBS radio sessions, the other members being  Buddy Cole on piano, Vince Terri,  guitar or banjo and Don Whittaker , bass.

Fatool played with a number of prominent bands during the '40s and '50s, taking part on numerous recording sessions with major names, including Bob Crosby.

Board footera