19/2/2015 7:13 pm  #1

LOSS OF SERVICE 18th February 2015

Yesterday 18th February 2015, this board was down for some hours. 

BoardHost, our hosting service, have apologised about this and say "- -  another customer's forum was attacked by a group of users in what is known as a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack."

They eventually restored the service using another server. Some posts occurred shortly after this, including one from me about the loss of service, and one from Steve Fay. There might have been others.

However, to err on the safe side, against the possibility of further mischief,  Boardhost then ran an update from an earlier back up, restoring the board to the state that it was in some 12 hours earlier. Any post made during the intervening period will have vanished.

If you had made any postings and wonder what has happened, please accept this explanation. And do please try a re-post. There is no reason to think that this board itself was under any form of attack.

20/2/2015 2:25 pm  #2

Re: LOSS OF SERVICE 18th February 2015

Richard,  I guess this means that if I happened to post something that was particularly dopey in that 12 hours, I have been granted the rare opportunity to go back in time before hand and now, going forward, not repeat my transgression.   It's a wonderful life!

Board footera