17/1/2015 10:31 am  #1

Hello everyone

I am Stuart from Epsom in Surrey. I have been a fan of Bing Crosby on and off for many years. Started when I was young as my parents were fans. Looking forward to reading the contributions on this Forum and posting some myself.

17/1/2015 11:48 am  #2

Re: Hello everyone

Welcome to the group Stuart!

17/1/2015 3:54 pm  #3

stuartfanning wrote:

I am Stuart from Epsom in Surrey. I have been a fan of Bing Crosby on and off for many years. Started when I was young as my parents were fans.

Stuart, I have welcomed you via email as part of the "joining" process.  This, your first posting, I am sure unintentionally, makes me feel too old, because my parents (or at least one of them) thought "crooners" incapable of singing "properly" and disapproved! "Why not Richard Tauber or even Nelson Eddy - at least they can sing".

Alas, my own children and grandchildren are not as influenced by parental (or grand-parental) tastes as you were - they follow more modern idols, who in my opinion quite definately cannot sing.

17/1/2015 4:04 pm  #4

Richard Baker wrote:

stuartfanning wrote:

I am Stuart from Epsom in Surrey. I have been a fan of Bing Crosby on and off for many years. Started when I was young as my parents were fans.

Stuart, I have welcomed you via email as part of the "joining" process.  This, your first posting, I am sure unintentionally, makes me feel too old, because my parents (or at least one of them) thought "crooners" incapable of singing "properly" and disapproved! "Why not Richard Tauber or even Nelson Eddy - at least they can sing".

Alas, my own children and grandchildren are not as influenced by parental (or grand-parental) tastes as you were - they follow more modern idols, who in my opinion quite definately cannot sing.

Well, in his last TV show, Bing sang with David Bowie. Proves how versatile he was, and open to interacting with someone who personified the new music trends!

21/1/2015 3:13 pm  #5

Stuart, welcome, and very best wishes!!!  What a delight it has been to log onto the forum after a few days absent and see several posts from a new voice.  While no one here would want to discourage non-members from only reading along or wish that rarely-posting long-time lurking members drop their membership, I hope current and would-be members will take your participation as an example of how more voices in the conversation make it all so much more interesting for everyone.  New voices and more voices, in my opinion, broaden and inspire.  I hope we will all be treated to many, many more posts reflecting your background, perspective, interests, and questions as a committed Crosby fan.

05/3/2015 7:33 pm  #6

"Alas, my own children and grandchildren are not as influenced by parental (or grand-parental) tastes as you were - they follow more modern idols, who in my opinion quite definately cannot sing."

I prefer Crosby to the generation's pop singer icons that followed: Sinatra, Presley, and whoever else you pick from the past 40 years.

Board footera