13/9/2013 2:23 pm  #1

Rare Footage of Bing on Radio

I have just heard from John Jensen who says:
"During the 1970s I was general manager of radio station KMPX 107FM in San Francisco. Because our format was devoted to the music and radio shows of the 1930s and 40s, and the fact Bing lived just south of the city, we got to know him and he visited our station on several occasions.
More importantly, when the local US Navy base asked us to help celebrate their 200th anniversary, we enlisted Bing's help which resulted in a live broadcast on our station from their facility on Treasure Island.
The KMPXradio.com website has a couple of pictures of Bing, a short history about the station and the Treasure Island broadcast, and most importantly a highlight video reel of that broadcast on the Airchecks page. I understand it to be the only known footage of Bing doing a radio show.
It was a treat for me to hear that broadcast again. I had written the skit between Bing and Mel Blanc and I remember what a thrill it was for me at the time to hear them reading my lines and getting laughs from the audience."

16/9/2013 6:15 am  #2

Re: Rare Footage of Bing on Radio

Wow, That was great!   Bing was 72 and always cute!  Nice to see Janet Waldo and Mel Blanc again.
At our 49th Cinecon last week in Hollywood, Pat Boone and Shirley Jones were interviewed after a screening of "April Love."  It was suggested that the song "Do It Yourself" wherein Pat and Shirley and the the secondary leads were having a barbeque, was very much like a Bing Song.  Along the lines of "Sunshine Cake" where they are singing and handling lots of props and tossing things back and forth throughout.  Pat and Shirley agreed and they mentioned how Bing always did bits of business while he sang which were always interesting and creative.  They were both very familiar and enthused with Bing's ability to further enrich a song or a scene with his unique stylings.  A nice Bing moment by two gracious stars who remember and appreciate him to this day.  ~~ Maureen

Last edited by Bopcat (16/9/2013 6:34 am)

31/7/2014 3:06 am  #3

Re: Rare Footage of Bing on Radio

WoW It Was Great. And Bing Just As Gorgeous As Ever, At 72. Nice To See Mel Blanc And Fibber Mcgee.  What A Rare Piec Of Bing Footage. Thanks,Malcom
For Posting!

Windy

Last edited by windyd (31/7/2014 3:06 am)

Board footera