19/5/2013 6:22 pm  #1

"Fan Clubs Keep The Flame Alive"

Nice mention of ICC here

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/celebrities/fan-clubs-that-keep-the-flame-alive-for-stars-fading-from-memory-688272/

But apparently we are all  (1) WWll veterans. Really?
and (2) male.

I can remember the war, just, but am far from being a "verteran" and I know many fans who are considerably younger than me!

I also know of considerable numbers of female fans.

19/5/2013 7:35 pm  #2

Re: "Fan Clubs Keep The Flame Alive"

The last time I checked I was a female. Females always swooned when Bing crooned and still do!

Peace and Love! 

19/5/2013 8:39 pm  #3

Some pretty sweeping generalizations in that article; I'm a 26 year old female.

19/5/2013 8:59 pm  #4

Phew, Emily....I'm glad you commented about age, cause I was feeling a bit guilty, as I can vaguely remember the Falkland War, never mind WWII.

I was 4 years old when Bing died.....and I now have a six year old that can sing Swanee from hearing it on "Crosby On Broadway"....so point being...I think theres a bit of life in the BC legacy yet....

Last edited by Kevin (19/5/2013 9:00 pm)

20/5/2013 11:31 am  #5

I've fed back all of your comments to the author. See the link above if you want to comment direct.

21/5/2013 2:21 am  #6

Emily wrote:

Some pretty sweeping generalizations in that article; I'm a 26 year old female.

I gotta say...twenty-six-year-old female Bing Crosby fans are pretty much the greatest people in the world. Judging from the highly representative sample found in this thread, they comprise about one-third of Bing Crosby fans today.

21/5/2013 7:38 pm  #7

I'm a 79 year old male fan and have been for the past 69 or more years.
Talking of WWII, a mate of mine often says - you heard about the war, didn't you, it was in all the papers.

08/4/2014 2:38 am  #8

I'm 33. I Was 14 When I bBecame A Fan, And He Still Makes Me Swoon! Bing Was And Is The Greatest Entertainer Who Ever Lived!

08/4/2014 4:34 pm  #9

Ron Field wrote:

I'm a 79 year old male fan and have been for the past 69 or more years.

Ron, that sounds as if you have found the formula for eternal youth. I have a female relative who, once having reached 35, remained there for at least another 20 years, but then she was only a strict tempo dance fanatic.

In the context of age - of fans growing older and being able to "hand on the baton" by enthusing younger potential fans, Anton, a member of this group, recently posted a message on another board to which we both also belong. As that is a closed group devoted to dance bands, I hope he will not mind me copying his post. He said -

"This discussion makes me wonder out loud: will 1940s and pre-1940s music survive the passing of time? I ask this because I know that a lot of the music of that era has already stood the test of time; it is quality music to be enjoyed by anyone from any generation. No doubt there. The main problem is that the younger generations can only appreciate this kind of music (or any kind, for that matter) if and only if they're exposed to it. And if radio stations cut their shows giving some exposure to the great names from the 20s, 30s, and 40s under the pretext that it is old music in which nobody is interested, then they make it impossible for a younger audience who might like that kind of music to even be exposed to it at all. I see that with my college-level students, most of whom have no idea who Ellington or Goodman are (or even Sinatra, in some cases). But that is not because they couldn't be potentially interested in that kind of music, but rather because they haven't been exposed to it. That lack of exposure makes it impossible for them to like it because they don't even know it, and that is really a shame. Therefore, if they can't listen to classic jazz or big band jazz on the radio, it's unlikely that they'll ever be exposed to it. Of course, there's always the internet, so there may still be some hope there... Anton G.-F.
There has been a fair amount of reaction, mostly agreeing that the key issue is to try to get appreciation by more exposure to "our" type of music.

I wonder if anyone here feels able to comment? 

08/4/2014 7:58 pm  #10

Richard ,
Your eternal 35 year old friend didn't make it to 39, like Jack Benny.
I used to always say I was 27, after I had passed that age. Probably helps to keep us 'young'.
I worked with a bloke who was 2 months older than me but seemed like 20 or more years older.
The old saying 'act your age', whatever that may be.

16/4/2014 12:06 am  #11

This section will do.
Just finishing a book 'beautiful children' about backward children.
The writer says that to help the kids to remain on the same level she would start singing. She mentions 'in the cool cool cool of the evening' and 'would you like to swing on a star' (instead of 'swinging on a star'.
The author doesn't mention Bing as the inspiration of these songs.
But we all know, don't we?!

06/5/2014 3:37 am  #12

Lill Said Anton. I Have Been A Fan Of Big Band and Jazz Music Since I Was A Teenager.IEnjoy Just About All Big Band Music From The Forties. Glen Miller Is My FavoriteIn That Category.

Its Just Ashame That  alot Of Kids Don'tHave An Appreciation For That Type Of music. God bBless The Ones Who Do.

Back In High School When Everone Else WasLiP/rocBklistening To Rap/rockI Was Buying Every Crosby Album I Could Get My HandS on.My ClassmateS  Thought I Was Weird But I Didnt Care.Im Still CRAZYABOUT Bing To This Day.Hes Still My Inspiration.
Im Definitely Going To Pass On My Love Of Him To My Kids.

Windyd

06/5/2014 3:39 am  #13

I Meant To Say Well Said Anton.

Forgive The Typos

windyd

Board footera