03/11/2013 8:43 pm  #1

AFRS Basic Music Library - Philco Radio Time Vol 1 & 2

Any of you knowledgeable ladies and fellows come across anything resembling a track list or information for either of these yet??? Very rare for a release to be 2 weeks away and absolutely no information at all on the internet (that I can find.....Mr. B??).

Anybody bought any previous Songs of Yesteryear releases??? Sound quality/notes any good??

Volume 1 now costing only £6.39 on Amazon UK, so thankfully it will be no great shake if there is duplication with the Sepia release....and the 4 Philco songs could be interesting.

Problem with so many new releases, is that rather than quenching the thirst....it just makes you desperate for more…don’t you find??

03/11/2013 9:11 pm  #2

Re: AFRS Basic Music Library - Philco Radio Time Vol 1 & 2

Are these going to be released in the UK?

Peace and Love! 

04/11/2013 7:22 am  #3

48blonde wrote:

Are these going to be released in the UK?

They are listed on UK Amazon in precisely the same way as in the US.

But still no track listings.

The same company have issued Bing Crosby material in the past, also from radio broadcasts.

Last edited by Richard Baker (04/11/2013 7:22 am)

04/11/2013 12:57 pm  #4

The issuing company is stated by Amazon to be "Sounds Of Yesteryear". 

This is a label used by Submarine Records, operating from an address in Enfield, just outside London, England.

They have issued many LPs from at least the 1970s and last year produced a sequence named "The Best Years Of Our Lives", taking popular songs of specific years and adding a radio dramatisation from the year in question. Two of theses included radio dramatisations of "Holiday Inn" and "Bells Of St Mary's".

Four or five years ago they had two double CDs "Bing Crosby And Friends" and "It's Magic" which for all practical purposes were issues of earlier LPs.

So far as I can trace, neither "Sounds Of Yesteryear" nor "Submarine Records" maintain websites, though there is a foreign language site called Submarine Records, relating to something totally different.  

The records are usually reasonably produced with good sound but without being particularly exceptional. The information on inserts usually lack dates.

04/11/2013 4:07 pm  #5

I never bought a Bing Crosby CD off od Submarine Records, but I have several Glenn Miller CDs put out by them and they are exceptional with a lot of information (ie- dates)

09/12/2013 11:32 pm  #6

I received Vol. 1. I went to clean disc, and the picture smeared. It doesn't have label like store bought cd's it has a label like someone made it from a computer. Also, I like the Sepia CD's better. This one seems like they through anything together to make a cd.

Peace and Love! 

10/12/2013 8:11 am  #7

Carmela, 

The label is printed in colour and not "burnt" onto the disc, as some are, but in my view there is nothing to suggest that this is an amateurish production, and I do not think that it is an applied paper stick on, as you seem to suggest.

Have you have been using a liquid to clean the CD?  Personally I would stick, at most, with a barely damp cloth, and it should not really be necessary to clean new CDs with anything more than a suitable dry cloth to get rid of any surface dust.

I have several LPs and CDs from the company and their associates whilst they are undoubtedly small, they have been around for quite a while - at least back to the 1980s.

I have no details of the promised volume 2, but volume 1 is pretty good. 
We seem to have got two threads running on this "AFRS" issue  - see the other also at 

http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=688

10/12/2013 1:25 pm  #8

I got it dirty with fingerprints and I always use alcohol to clean discs. I never had any trouble before.

Peace and Love! 

10/12/2013 2:04 pm  #9

48blonde wrote:

- - - I always use alcohol to clean discs.

Alcohol can be a very effective cleaner because it is a solvent. And printing ink can be attacked by solvents!

Some commercial cleaning solutions are based on alcohol. For extreme cases I use isopropyl alcohol on vinyl discs but it is far better to care of discs of any sort by not allowing them to get dirty in the first place! (And take care what alcohol you use - there are all sorts of impurities - they are what gives it the appropriate flavour).

10/12/2013 6:29 pm  #10

Could it possibly be a "Manufactured on Demand" disc by any chance??? This seems to be a growing trend in the USA, and I got caught out purchasing a Jimmy Durante CD recently.

Seems nothing more than legitimate piracy to my mind as artwork and discs (CDR)  are copies which have been licensed from original record company. Apparently it is used to make titles available in territories where they may have not been previously, however my experience is quality is poor and won’t accept the same treatment as normal CD's. Warner Brothers are particularly bad for this, but many labels are following. Thankfully not quite made it here in the UK (yet!!)

Like Richard, my copy is perfectly normal.

11/12/2013 2:37 am  #11

Kevin, You read my mind. I didn't want to say it, but I think that's what happened here.

Peace and Love! 

Board footera