18/9/2013 2:22 am  #1

BING VS JERRY LEWIS

Found this very interesting clip about a supposed feud between Bing and Jerry Lewis...

Not sure it is true or not, but looking at the telethon clip, Bing did disappear when Jerry Lewis came on the set...

18/9/2013 6:17 am  #2

Re: BING VS JERRY LEWIS

Jerry obviously has a selective memory as he has forgotten the times he subsequently golfed with Bing, had dinner with him in London and was invited to play in the Crosby Pro-Am. Bing and Dean Martin also gatecrashed the Eddie Fisher show on which Jerry was guesting in 1958. Full details in Day by Day on the BING magazine web site.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (18/9/2013 8:33 am)

18/9/2013 12:00 pm  #3

I don't blame Bing for walking off. Jerry over did it sometimes.

Peace and Love! 

18/9/2013 12:46 pm  #4

I agree Malcolm. Jerry Lewis like Mickey Rooney revised a lot of their history. Look at how the stories about him and Dean have changed through the years. It is interesting that someone took the time to put the clips together.

I liked seeing the clips from the Olympic telethon - I hadn't seen those before though.

18/9/2013 3:49 pm  #5

If Jerry had a feud with Bing, it wasn't nearly as famous as his one with Dean.  I was a big fan of Lewis when I was ten years old, mainly for his movies like "Who's Minding the Store."  I seem to recall liking his short-lived late night tv show some years later, on which he usually sang at least one ballad.  Like, Jim Neighbors, Lewis seemed completely different from his comic persona when he sang. If there was some rift between Bing and Jerrry, it sounds like Bing to have quietly avoided conflict. Perhaps it would be more like Jerry to play it up for attention.

18/9/2013 6:21 pm  #6

I was fuming when I read Jerry's "love letter" to Dean AKA his book. He rewrote 90% of their history together. Dean was far from a saint, but Jerry treated him like dirt. That's OK. Dean made out pretty well on his own.

Last edited by paulmock (19/9/2013 10:05 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

19/9/2013 2:45 pm  #7

What was the real reason for the Martin and Lewis split?

Peace and Love! 

19/9/2013 5:19 pm  #8

I never took to the Jerry Lewis brand of humour. I found him self - indulgent and not funny at all. 

Why the split with Dean? I personally have no knowledge, but I am sure that Dean the singer was much the better for it, rather than with life as a straight man to Lewis. I think Dean Martin was a great singer and if he had taken himself a little more seriously could have been more of a competitor to Bing and Frank. 

The interview clips and the allegations made in them were totally new to me but in the light of what was said and the evidence quoted by Malcolm (who was being polite when he said "​Jerry obviously has a selective memory as he has forgotten the times - - -"  the interview was a self serving attempt to re-write history.

Bob Hope was correct when he said that Lewis took over the telethon. He was muscling in, and Lewis was probably right when he says Bing was offended. He thinks it was funny. It was not - it was self indulgent and clearly Bing was not having any of it. But Malcolm points out that contrary to Lewis's allegations Bing's subsequent actions show that he did not bear any grudge.

19/9/2013 7:06 pm  #9

Dean Martin is my second favorite crooner next to Bing, and I read extensively about Dino. Jerry was taking over the act and Dean couldn't take him anymore. I liked Jerry Lewis when he was with Dean, but that is about it. Everything Jerry does in his career and life what I heard is self serving.

I just think Bing did not have time for Jerry's drama and craziness. Most people wouldn't. It just took Dean 10 years before he couldn't stand it anymore.

19/9/2013 10:08 pm  #10

48blonde wrote:

What was the real reason for the Martin and Lewis split?

One word...EGO!    Arthur Marx wrote a biography on them called "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime...especially himself!"

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

19/9/2013 10:16 pm  #11

Like you, Richard, I have never been a big fan of Jerry Lewis' type of humor. In my opinion, it was rather silly but it lacked the wit and intelligence of, say, a Bob Hope. I don't really like many movies by Lewis, but if I had to choose one to recommend, it would be The Disorderly Orderly, which I find quite inventive and at times really funny.

Dean Martin is also high on the list of my favorite crooners, and I particularly enjoy his Reprise album Dream with Dean, which is a masterpiece, in my opinion. After Bing, it is Dick Haymes that makes number two on my list of favorite crooners, and then Dean would be right up there. It is no coincidence that both Dean and Haymes were deeply influenced by Bing, as was another one of my favorites, the late Buddy Clark.

19/9/2013 11:52 pm  #12

Thanks Richard, Paul, David and Anton! My favorite Crooners Mr.C, Mr.C and Mr.C! Crosby, Como and Columbo!

Peace and Love! 

16/10/2013 3:58 am  #13

WOw.I Don T Blame Bing For Walking Out. I THink Jerry Overdid it.He Seriously Took Over The Telethon.I Think Bing did'nt AppreciateThe Way He Was ACting. And WasTryingToBE Polite About It by LeavingI Doubt He Held Any Kind Of Grudge Against Jerry.Over it.

Board footera