25/9/2013 2:40 pm  #1

Crosby and Columbo and other Crooners

I do favor Bing as far as singing, acting and personality. And I do think Bing and Perry Como were the most handsome of the Crooners. I don't like to compare, we all have different taste. Besides Bing, I like Perry and Russ. Too bad Russ died so young. Bing seemed pretty friendly with Russ despite the Battle of the Baritones.

Peace and Love! 

25/9/2013 4:59 pm  #2

Re: Crosby and Columbo and other Crooners

Carmela,

I also like Russ Columbo's sweet, romantic style of crooning and own the CD that includes his complete studio recordings. The word studio is key there, since I believe that there are a couple of songs from his movies that are not included in that two-CD set.

You are right when you say that Bing was rather friendly with Russ despite that so-called "Battle of the Baritones." Of course, that "Battle of the Baritones" was nothing but media hype at the time, an advertising gimmick akin to the Battles of the Bands (or the Drums) during the Swing Era or the Beatles vs. the Rolling Stones a several years later. Moreover, Bing never minded or shied away from competition. As far as he was concerned, there was room in the business for more than one crooner or more than one baritone, and if anything, competition from the likes of Columbo, Vallee, or Morton Downey only served to spur him on to do better.

As you say, unfortunately, Russ Columbo died too young, and under unusual circumstances, leaving us with lots of "what ifs?" But the recordings that he left behind are some of the most beautiful of the late 20s and early 30s.

26/9/2013 1:30 am  #3

Bing Crosby was pallbearer at Russ Columbo's funeral. You can see a pic from it here:

http://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2012/10/bing-and-russ-columbo.html

Also, Bing made a movie with Russ's girlfriend Carole Lombard right around the time poor Russ was killed. He was a great crooner.

26/9/2013 3:24 am  #4

Thanks David! I knew Bing was a pallbearer but never saw photos. Bing also wrote some of the song "You call it Madness.."

Peace and Love! 

26/9/2013 8:19 am  #5

Bing is not credited on the sheet music of "You Call It Madness".

26/9/2013 1:04 pm  #6

Malcolm, I didn't know that. I know I read in a few books that Bing helped write the song. Is this true?

Peace and Love! 

26/9/2013 3:04 pm  #7

Don't think Bing helped write the song. Which book says he did?

26/9/2013 5:33 pm  #8

Carmela,

I wonder if there is an association of ideas here? Possibly the thought was planted in your mind by the book - "You Call It Madness: The Sensuous Song of the Croon" by :Lenny Kaye? The main focus is on Columbo but Bing is mentioned.

The song was certainly by Con Conrad, Gladys Dubois, Russ Columbo, and Paul Gregory. Nowhere can I find any mention of Bing in relation to it.

26/9/2013 7:27 pm  #9

Malcolm and Richard, I clicked on to a Russ Columbo bio online and it said Bing played a part in the composition of "You Call It Madness". I also read it in one of the Bing Books. Maybe they mean it in another way? Maybe someone here knows?

Peace and Love! 

Board footera