21/9/2013 7:22 pm  #1

Some Fine Old Chestnuts / New Tricks

A few days ago, I ordered the two-fer that includes Bing's albums Some Fine Old Chestnuts and New Tricks. I received it this morning and put it in my CD player immediately. Of course, I had heard these songs before because they are available in the 7-CD Mosaic set of Bing's CBS radio recordings. However, as I was listening to it (and particularly to one of the songs, "I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)," a thought crossed my mind.

One of my favorite albums by Dean Martin, as I have already mentioned here before, is Dream with Dean (Reprise). Since Dean's album was released after Bing's efforts with the Buddy Cole Trio, I was wondering whether Dean's fabulous LP might have been influenced by these two outings by Bing. Listening to Dean's version of "I'm Confessin'" on Dream with Dean, it really sounds uncannily similar to Bing's own version here... If you've heard both songs, what do you all think about this?

21/9/2013 7:26 pm  #2

Re: Some Fine Old Chestnuts / New Tricks

Looking on YouTube, I see that both versions of "I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)" are available as videos, so here they are. Tell me what you think!

First, Bing's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6z12NfDrbE

And then, Dean Martin's version, from Dream with Dean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPgB_b-9-Zw

16/4/2024 8:43 pm  #3

More than a decade after you posted this Anton, I am sitting in my home office listening to "Dream with Dean" (MY favorite Dean Martin album) and listening to "I'm Confessin" and thinking how good is sounds and a thought crosses my mind and I go search up Bing's version and I'm struck (even though I have heard them both many times before) of how alike they are and how GOOD Bing's version is!

Where we go in different directions is you wondered if Dean was inspired or influenced by the earlier Crosby recording and I wondered what if Bing had gone into the recording studio to record an album, a little more fleshed out than his sessions for CBS and like "Dream with Dean" a laid back set that sounded like a lounge singer, signing a late night set, just HOW GREAT that album could have been!!

However, all those CBS recordings give us the chance to build out our own "Dream with BING" playlists!

16/4/2024 11:42 pm  #4

I’ve done that before, haha! Dream with Dean is a favorite of mine and it made me jump and make this playlist;

1. I’m Confessin’
2. Gigi
3. More Than You Know
4. Cocktails For Two
5. You’ll Never Know
6. It’s Not For Me To Say
7. I Guess I’ll Have To Change My Plan
8. What Is There To Say
9. The Nearness Of You
10. But Not For Me
11. My Heart Stood Still
12. All Through The Night

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

17/4/2024 3:03 am  #5

LOL! I have been playing around with a playlist all day today! I have not managed to get down to 12 tracks yet but I started with something like 46 songs!

I treated this like it would be a 3rd Decca release of CBS recordings, so I didn't use a song if it appeared on "Some Fine Old Chestnuts" or "New Tricks"

What I came up with:

1. But Not For Me
2. If I Gave My Heart to You
3. Once in a While
4. I'll Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan
5. Don't Take Your Love from Me
6. Try a Little Tenderness
7. What is There to Say
8. My Ideal
9. I'm Yours
10. All Through the Night
11. Someone You Love
12. She's Funny that Way
13. No, Not Much
14. If You Can Dream
15. Little Man, You've Had a Busy Day

I see, that we hit on some of the same songs! Like I said, I haven't been able to pair this down to 12 songs, though technically you could squeeze all 15 tracks on an album 

17/4/2024 1:16 pm  #6

I wish you guys were CD producers. We could use some good ideas like that!

17/4/2024 6:45 pm  #7

Ron1972 wrote:

LOL! I have been playing around with a playlist all day today! I have not managed to get down to 12 tracks yet but I started with something like 46 songs!

I treated this like it would be a 3rd Decca release of CBS recordings, so I didn't use a song if it appeared on "Some Fine Old Chestnuts" or "New Tricks"

What I came up with:

1. But Not For Me
2. If I Gave My Heart to You
3. Once in a While
4. I'll Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan
5. Don't Take Your Love from Me
6. Try a Little Tenderness
7. What is There to Say
8. My Ideal
9. I'm Yours
10. All Through the Night
11. Someone You Love
12. She's Funny that Way
13. No, Not Much
14. If You Can Dream
15. Little Man, You've Had a Busy Day

I see, that we hit on some of the same songs! Like I said, I haven't been able to pair this down to 12 songs, though technically you could squeeze all 15 tracks on an album 

I made that playlist a few years back and while I did have the Mosiac set, I limited myself to what was on streaming which made it easier to get down to 12 songs, now with the influx of more Buddy Cole tracks streaming it would be much harder to whittle it down!

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

Board footera