18/9/2013 4:00 pm  #1

What Bing listening or viewing has been improving YOUR mood lately?

Yesterday, I had to drive our little car to the dealer for maintenance, with other errands in a city an hour away.  A pinched nerve in my back that flared up a few weeks ago was still nagging me. A number of delayed tasks, on account of the back injury, were weighing on my mind.... BUT I put the Mozaic Crosby CD set playing in the car, and what a change they made.   Ahhhhhhhhhh!  I kept thinking of the description of Bing's singing on those old radio tracks as "hip and loose."  Despite the impending crap of life on my shoulders (and my spine)...I started feeling hip and loose, too.  What a wonder, what a difference a couple of hours of listening to Bing can make.  It's good for what ails you.

So what parts of Bing's artistry have been helping your dispositions, fellow Crosby fans? 

18/9/2013 8:59 pm  #2

Re: What Bing listening or viewing has been improving YOUR mood lately?

I always have my day brightened by listening to episodes of the Bing Crosby-Rosemary Clooney radio show---a few years ago I downloaded 200+ of them and would put them on as we were doing things around the house, just like the listeners would have had the show on in the early 60s.
You can easily listen to them yourself at this link: http://archive.org/details/OTRR_BCRC_Singles
The mixture of music and friendly conversation and humor is always right to make me temporarily forget about the problems of the world and return to a simpler, more enjoyable time...what a pair they were! 

19/9/2013 2:41 pm  #3

Kraft Music Hall Shows and Bing's old movies[30's and 40's] do it for me.

Peace and Love! 

19/9/2013 6:56 pm  #4

It depends on my mood, but even Bing's sad songs cheer me up sometimes. Just hearing his voice is like hearing from a friend.

At work, where I am most stressed, we can listen to mp3 players and I currently have 590 songs downloaded - the majority is Bing. Just an example of what I heard from Bing today include: "And You'll Be Home", "Huggin And Chalkin", "Begin The Beguine", "Blue Orchids", "Back In The Old Routine", "Love In A Home", and "The Three Caballeros" off the top of my head. Bing helps me get through the 8:30 to 5:15 shift!

20/9/2013 7:27 pm  #5

Steve,

I guess that the Bing recordings that I listen to on a given moment greatly depend on how I feel at that particular time. So if I feel cheerful, I like to play peppy albums like Bing with a Beat and his Verve album with Buddy Bregman, or maybe some of those old records he made with Paul Whiteman, which are always so syncopated and jazzy. His radio shows usually fit that mood pretty well, too.

However, if I am not feeling so well, I like listening to more pensive, slower songs from the 1930s and '40s, such as "Sentimental and Melancholy," "This Is My Night to Dream," "Were You Sincere," "Stardust," "What's New?," &c. In any case, his sessions with Buddy Cole that have been so impeccably released on that 7-CD Mosaic set never fail to cheer me up! Though it may be a little expensive, that set is a must for serious Crosby fans.

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (20/9/2013 7:28 pm)

26/9/2013 3:51 am  #6

Well Steve, that's almost impossioble for me to answer as I can't realy isolate any individual songs or movies except perhaps HIGH SOCIETY which, for me, is such a joyous experience with not only a relaxed Bing but also a wonderful group of co-stars, some beaut songs and splendidly choreographed and filmed.

Board footera