23/8/2013 12:06 am  #1

Crosley Radio

I recently purchased a Crosley 5 in 1 Radio. I love it! I played some Bing radio shows on it. Anyway, I have mostly cd's and cassettes of Bing, very few records. What should I use to clean up the records-alcohol? And what should I use to keep the wooden cabinet clean-Murphy oil? Greg are you out there? The past few years, I haven't been listening too much to music, because of the move, sickness[my dad and I] and trying to build up movie collection. I want to get back to some music, that's why I decided to get the 5 in 1. I have stereo's that play dvd's but not other formats[my old stereo's played everything]. I like that I don't have to store radio stations, I just turn the knob. I must admit I don't like all the new technology, only some of it. so I guess the 5 in 1 is good for me. Carmela 

Peace and Love! 

23/8/2013 11:33 am  #2

Re: Crosley Radio

Carmela,

I have spent quite a bit of time over the years trying to clean LPs. (I hope my own, bought new, have been sufficiently well cared for not to need it, but some which I have bought used were also abused.)

I fear that the answer to your query very much depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

Personally, I would not apply any liquid to the surface of an LP unless you also have the means of scrubbing out the residue from the bottom of the grooves. This requires a brush with sufficiently fine fibres to get in there, stiff enough to do the job, but not so stiff that they do any damage.
Some people use a velvet faced pad but the "scrubbing" effect is limited. It will probably be enough for a not too dirty LP.

With a suitable pad you could use distilled (or possibly filtered) water. 

But ideally what is really needed is a purpose made tool, and for the said "not too dirty" LPs I have used a Hunt EDA Mark 6 Brush   Hunt EDA Mark 6 Brush (which combines a velvet pad with soft nylon bristles) with a very little filtered water. Even these simple little devices are not very cheap - but how do you value your records?

If you have something really stubborn Isopropyl Alcohol is the thing to use. Other forms of alcohol have contaminents. On no account use alcohol on old shellac 78s. They can best be cleaned with filtered water and a domestic nylon brush. 

There is a lot on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If3PYmuelHA
The particulr video to which this link leads shows the use of a Disco Antistat machine which I also use for really dirty specimens, but you will see several alternative approaches on YouTube. I would not personally use the glue alternatve suggested in several of the clips. I have tried it and find that glue residue can be left behind.

Then there are the electrically powered machines that combine scrubbing and vacuuming and cost anything up from a few hundred dollars (or pounds) and go into the thousands.

I am sure this will not be the last word on this and hope that there are some experts on this subject out there - without getting overly technical. I know that there are some sites dedicated to the care and restoration of records.

23/8/2013 1:11 pm  #3

Thanks Richard, you were very helpful! I know years back when I was a teen I bought some kind of solution that was around at the time and a soft brush. All those Rock albums I cleaned are now in my storage room in the garage. Probably warped. The few Bing records I have I wanted to clean up. I purchased them in the city around the early 90's before 9/11. After 9/11 a lot of the stores that sold old records closed down in NYC, then I turned to ebay. I will mostly stick to the cd's because I have many of those. I can't start collecting records again. Don't have the room or the extra cash.

Peace and Love! 

23/8/2013 5:56 pm  #4

When I worked at Hoyts Theatres in Sydney in the advertising dept, down the hall was an office where they kept the 78's and sent them to theatres.
The cleaning fluid used (and I bought it, I think, from the chemist,) was testrachloride - or something like that. Please excuse the spelling. But it was something like that.

23/8/2013 6:12 pm  #5

Ron Field wrote:

The cleaning fluid used (and I bought it, I think, from the chemist,) was testrachloride - or something like that. Please excuse the spelling. But it was something like that.

?? Tetrachloride maybe. It was widely used as a cleaning fluid and solvent at one time but now known to have adverse impact on health. Vile smell.

23/8/2013 8:05 pm  #6

Is it like Sodium Chloride? Which I have plenty of because I had to use it after my operation on my toe.

Peace and Love! 

23/8/2013 11:10 pm  #7

Carmela, 

We are wandering off piste a little but perhaps you have been bathing your toe in salt water. Sodium chloride is common salt, formula NaCl. But you knew that, didn't you, and were teasing us?

Carbon Tetrachloride, to give the solvent I was referring to it's full name, though Tetrachloride does come in other combinations, is formula CCl4 (correctly the 4 should be dropped in subscript but the formatting here does not accept it).
You would not wish to consume it in any form! And you should certainly not clean LPs with Sodium Chloride, even in solution, as the salt particles will abrade and damage the vinyl surface.

24/8/2013 2:32 am  #8

I had to soak my toe every day with Sodium Chloride Solution. I was kidding about using it for cleaning records.

Peace and Love! 

24/8/2013 6:21 pm  #9

Thanks Richard

Board footera