23/8/2013 6:32 am  #1

The Rice Tapes

I was listening to "Bing Crosby in the Hall" and reading the liner notes, which talk a little about the history of the "Rice Tapes" which were transferred to reel-to-reel tape by Crosby fan Eddie Rice from reference disc recordings that John Scott Trotter had stored under his house.

This got me to wondering, and maybe those with more knowledge in this area can answer: what became of the original Rice Tapes, and of John Scott Trotter's original reference discs?

I know the tapes were copied and passed around among collectors, and the originals may have deteriorated. So, where do you look to find the earliest generation, highest quality copy to use to put together a CD like "Bing Crosby in the Hall"? Perhaps someone on the project has such a copy.

But what about the discs? Eddie Rice transferred about 500 of the discs which were clear enough to copy, implying there were some he didn't copy. Sourcing and remastering from old disc recordings has improved considerably since that time, and perhaps some of the discs that Eddie passed over could be transferred, and even the ones he did transfer could be done with improved results. These are the only source for many of these historic recordings.

Finally, Eddie Rice compiled a list of what was on the tapes, along with recording dates and other information. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of his list?

Incidentally, there's a good thread on Eddie Rice and the tapes in the Bing Crosby Internet Museum
http://www.stevenlewis.info/crosby/messages/rice.html

16/8/2023 11:10 pm  #2

Re: The Rice Tapes

I'm going to give this thread a nudge, since I still have a few questions about the Rice tapes, including some that came up in conversation with Ken Crossland. Perhaps Malcolm knows the answers.

Here are some updated Rice Tapes questions:
1. What became of John Scott Trotter's original discs, which Eddie Rice used to make the "Rice" tapes? From what I have read JST was planning to donate them to a western university. Did that happen, and if so, what university?
2. JST only recorded Bing's songs with some incidental talking, not the entire shows. However, some complete Kraft shows exist, including earlier hour long shows (some were released by Redmond Nostalgia). Since this is pre-tape, they would have had to be recorded on multiple discs. Some during the WWII era were presumably recorded for the military to use overseas, but there is one from 1937 and a few from 1941 before the US entry into WWII. How, why, and by whom were these recorded?
3. I have read that Rice transferred about 500 discs to tape. I have a source that lists 362 songs. Is that complete or is there more?

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has the answers or at least can provide some enlightenment. Thanks!

17/8/2023 5:34 am  #3

Hi Jim,

The American Heritage Center at the University of Wyoming has the Trotter collection. By coincidence there will be an article about the collection in the next BING magazine. We are working with a researcher there at the moment. I'll leave others to try and answer the rest of your questions.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (17/8/2023 5:35 am)

18/8/2023 6:00 am  #4

Regarding Jim’s query about the complete KMH shows, I have a vague recollection of the possible source, but it is entirely possible that my memory is playing tricks on me. Before Redmond Nostalgia ceased trading, I was in fairly regular email contact with proprietor David Kiner, placing bulk orders from Redmond's wonderful catalogue of Crosby material - not only KMH, but complete runs of Philco, Chesterfield, etc., plus much more besides. In the course of one of those email exchanges, I seem to remember David saying that the basis of the Redmond Crosby catalogue was a personal gift of transcription discs, tapes, etc., from Bing to David’s father Larry. I can’t recall any further details, I’m afraid, and unfortunately once Redmond went to the wall, all communication with David - despite my best efforts - ended abruptly. Not sure whether that helps..! 

18/8/2023 1:04 pm  #5

I've tried to get in touch with David Kiner since Remond closed and no luck.
I should have bought more Redmond Nostalgia issues when I had the chance!

19/8/2023 2:51 pm  #6

David Lobosco wrote:

I've tried to get in touch with David Kiner since Remond closed and no luck.
I should have bought more Redmond Nostalgia issues when I had the chance!

I feel your pain, David..! I managed to acquire app. 200 of the Redmond Crosby CDs but - rather stupidly in hindsight - I started with with the KMH, Philco and Chesterfield releases. Having completed those series, I was making good headway into the rarer stuff when Redmond ceased trading. Like you, I tried to contact David Kiner but with absolutely no success. I still have the Redmond catalogue and - when I'm in the mood for kicking myself - occasionally cast a glance over all the titles I failed to buy!

20/8/2023 10:59 pm  #7

Thanks, Malcolm, for your response. I am looking forward to your article and learning more about the research you're involved with. I read your articles about the KMH scripts, it was fascinating to learn the significant role played by classical musicians in the early shows and that Bing performed duets with them.

Jeremy, it is very interesting if Bing gave Larry Kiner the transcription discs and tapes he used for Redmond. I had definitely read that he had Bing's permission to sell the material. I know that the Philco, Chesterfield and GE shows were pre-recorded on tape (at least starting from the October 1, 1947 Philco show). But I'm still curious how and why some of those early Kraft shows were preserved in the first place (besides the ones that were presumably recorded for use by the US military).

I definitely sympathize with you and David! I had been concentrating on Bing's commercial recordings, purchasing the Chronological series, and saving the radio shows for later, when Redmond Nostalgia went dark. I have managed to acquired some of the Redmond CDs on eBay where they turn up very sporadically, including some of the rarer stuff, but there are a lot of gaps in my collection. I've also acquired some material from other collectors.

21/8/2023 5:44 am  #8

I believe that some of the NBC affiliates recorded some of the early Kraft shows off the air. Thank goodness they did.

22/8/2023 9:37 am  #9

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

I believe that some of the NBC affiliates recorded some of the early Kraft shows off the air. Thank goodness they did.

On page 259 of the second volume of the Gary Giddens biography, Giddens describes how Bing set about restoring his record collection after the disastrous house fire of January 3rd, 1943.

"Jack Kapp sent him everything he had in stock and ordered pressings of discontinued Deccas from the original masters. Milt Gabler, the proprietor of New York's Commodore Music Shop (...) sent a gift of a hundred and fifty jazz discs. Louis Armstrong sent him a set of his own recordings. Unfortunately, Bing could not replace the transcription discs of his radio shows, made to order for him each week by NBC's radio recording division. (My italics.) They were the only copies of those uncut hour-long KMH broadcasts ever made."

Since several of the hour-long shows do survive (and some of these in very good quality sound), maybe more than one disc was cut of certain shows, as well as the off-air recordings mentioned by Malcolm. 

22/8/2023 6:43 pm  #10

Jim Determan wrote:

Thanks, Malcolm, for your response. I am looking forward to your article and learning more about the research you're involved with. I read your articles about the KMH scripts, it was fascinating to learn the significant role played by classical musicians in the early shows and that Bing performed duets with them.

Jeremy, it is very interesting if Bing gave Larry Kiner the transcription discs and tapes he used for Redmond. I had definitely read that he had Bing's permission to sell the material. I know that the Philco, Chesterfield and GE shows were pre-recorded on tape (at least starting from the October 1, 1947 Philco show). But I'm still curious how and why some of those early Kraft shows were preserved in the first place (besides the ones that were presumably recorded for use by the US military).

I definitely sympathize with you and David! I had been concentrating on Bing's commercial recordings, purchasing the Chronological series, and saving the radio shows for later, when Redmond Nostalgia went dark. I have managed to acquired some of the Redmond CDs on eBay where they turn up very sporadically, including some of the rarer stuff, but there are a lot of gaps in my collection. I've also acquired some material from other collectors.

I'm the same. I had a ton of the Redmond Nostalgia issues, and I was starting to buy the Buddy Clark Chronological series when they stopped. I even found David Kiner's home number but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone have any ideas how to get in touch - there were so many great CD producers and little companies that had mail order services. I miss those days!

24/8/2023 8:02 pm  #11

It is fortunate that some of the early Kraft shows survived. Of course, I would love to hear them all, what a shame that they apparently were recorded and then lost in Bing's house fire. I find the history of these recordings fascinating, and so precarious. JST recording Bing's songs and then saving the discs under his house, and Eddie Rice deciding to knock on his door.

In addition to the Bing material, I have the Redmond Nostalgia set Cliff Edwards "On The Air", which is an 8 CD set featuring episodes from Edwards radio show ca. 1944 where he was backed by a little jazz combo featuring guitarist Tony Mottola. Larry Kiner also wrote a discography of Edwards, which I have. Edwards did a lot of novelties, but he was also one of the first jazz-oriented singers to record.

29/9/2023 5:29 am  #12

I gleaned an interesting tidbit of information from the liner notes to the CD "The Three T's "Live" from the Hickory House, New York, December 1936" on Jazz Oracle. The notes were written in 2007 by Joe Showler, who, at the time, was working on a biography of Jack Teagarden (The Three T's are Jack Teagarden, Frankie Trumbauer, and Charlie Teagarden). Unfortunately, from what I found on-line, Showler died in 2009 without completing his biography. At any rate, he states the following in the liner notes:

"Each half-hour program comprised three 78 rpm double-sided twelve-inch acetates made for Frank Trumbauer by a New York-based recording service."

"The earliest acetate recordings I have ever seen were cut in 1935. Prior to that, any instantaneous recordings were cut into aluminum. This puts the Three T's recordings into a special historical category. The programs represent very early live radio recordings and, considering the limitations of recordings off the air in 1936, the sound from these discs is wonderful."

Board footera