19/7/2013 12:03 am  #1

SEGER ELLIS

Hi everyone,

Though he wasn't nearly as popular as Bing, Seger Ellis was a very successful vocalist and pianist in the late 20s and early 30s. He once said in an interview that, in his opinion, Bing was undoubtedly the best vocalist of the period. There is only one CD entirely devoted to his music, a kind of crooning reminiscent of Gene Austin but definitely jazzier. I've been listening to that CD (The Old Masters' Jazz in a Sentimental Mood) quite a bit lately, and today I published a brief article about Ellis in my blog, The Vintage Bandstand. If you're interested, you can read it here:

http://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com/2013/07/unsung-vocalists-of-past-1-seger-ellis.html

This is the first in a new series of articles that I just began and that will be devoted to lesser-known vocalists from the 20s, 30s, and 40s. I hope you enjoy it! 

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (19/7/2013 12:04 am)

24/7/2013 2:11 am  #2

Re: SEGER ELLIS

The lesser-known artists deserve the attention you'll give them ands I look forward to reading your future articles about them, after you (I hope) refer to them in future entries under this heading. Your Seger Ellis piece is especially interesting. As you probably know, he recorded for Brunswick in the early 1930s and this resulted in some Australain releases which were unique, and related very much to Bing Crosby.

26/7/2013 4:47 pm  #3

Re: SEGER ELLIS

Graham,

Thanks a lot for your very nice words about the Seger Ellis article. I have always enjoyed Ellis' work, both as a singer and as a pianist and songwriter, and I agree that he deserves more attention than he has received. I am already thinking of other entries for the "Unsung Vocalists" series, but these days I have my hands full, since my wife and I just had our first baby! I will, however, keep working on articles as time permits! 

Board footera