17/1/2013 1:58 pm  #1

Pick a CD

Bing fans- If you had to pick a Bing CD to play for someone [based on sound quality and songs] which one would it be?

Peace and Love! 

17/1/2013 6:49 pm  #2

Re: Pick a CD

48blonde wrote:

Bing fans- If you had to pick a Bing CD to play for someone [based on sound quality and songs] which one would it be?

I hate to be picky, but just one? And is it supposed to be representative of Bing at the very hight of his popularity, or is there some other criterion? 

I think I would need at least half a dozen to be representative of different eras and styles. Under torture, restricted to one I think I'd pick the Bluebird CD issue ''Fancy Meeting You here'' with the tracks from the like named LP from 1958 with Rosemary Clooney plus some ''fillers'' from Bob Hope and Rosemary Clooney and Jo Stafford (Amazon incorrectly credit the last four tracks to Bing and Rosemary instead of Bing and Jo).

This has the advantage of relatively modern sound, is entertaining beyond the merely musical content, but it has to be admitted that it gives no idea of Bing's work from other eras or with other partners.

- And I'm forced to leave out so much material from the earlier years, and indeed different genres - ''Cowboy'' songs', Hawaiian songs, the ''jazz'' side of Bing,  those with Louis Armstrong, some delightful recent issues such as ''Bing In Dixieland'' and the late issues from 1975-1977, and those happy bouncing tracks on Mosaic  - - - and  - - - and  - - - and.  But your question implied one.

17/1/2013 8:13 pm  #3

That's a Great one but I want you to pick one from the 30's and 40's. Could be a Greatest Hits type of cd. Carmela

Peace and Love! 

17/1/2013 11:23 pm  #4

Carnela,

As Richard says, this is an extremely difficult question for any Crosby fan, but here are three possible choices:

TOO MARVELOUS FOR WORDS: TOP FIFTY OF HIS GREATEST HITS (2-CD. JASMINE)
http://www.amazon.com/Too-Marvellous-Words-RECORDINGS-REMASTERED/dp/B0000659OY/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1358464814&sr=1-2&keywords=bing+crosby+jasmine

CENTENNIAL ANTHOLOGY OF DECCA RECORDINGS (2-CD. Decca)
http://www.amazon.com/Centennial-Anthology-Decca-Recordings-Crosby/dp/B00008RV07/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1358464789&sr=1-1&keywords=bing+crosby+anthology

IT'S EASY TO REMEMBER (4-CD. Proper)
http://www.amazon.com/Its-Easy-Remember-Bing-Crosby/dp/B00005TO17/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1358464727&sr=1-5&keywords=bing+crosby+box+set

In my opinion, all three are good, although the Proper 4-CD box set is out of print at the moment of this writing (it looks like there are still some new copies sld by third-part sellers on Amazon). Any of the first two choices (the Jasmine release and the Decca Anthology) are good overviews of Bing's recordings from the period that you mention.

I hope this is helpful!

Anton G.-F.
Martin, Tennessee, USA
http://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com

18/1/2013 12:29 am  #5

Very good choices Anton.

However, if it can still be found - and I see it is still listed by some dealers, I think that one of the best overviews is the 4 CD Decca/MCA set 
Bing Crosby - His Legendary Years 1931-1957 MCAD4 - 10887

It also has a very good informative booklet.

This was issued as long ago as 1993, but can still be found and Amazon have it as a download
http://www.amazon.com/Bing-His-Legendary-Years-1931-1957/dp/B000002OPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358468075&sr=8-1&keywords=bing+crosby+his+legendary+years

But then this still omits so much lovely stuff from 1958 and onwards. 

Bing was several entertainers in one - taking in several genres and he certainly moved with the times.

I'm sure that everyone has ideas here - What do others think?

18/1/2013 12:49 am  #6

Richard,

I totally agree with what you say about the wonderful 4-CD box set The Legendary Years. As a matter of fact, it is one of those sets to which I always come back time and again whenever I want to hear a wide variety of Crosby recordings. It includes a great deal of fantastic, classic stuff that he recorded in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. The only reason why I didn't include this set in my previous list is that I thought it was out of print and that it would be too expensive to find a new copy of it. However, it looks like it is still possible to find some affordable copies, and it is certainly worth the investment!

18/1/2013 2:15 am  #7

My favorite Bing CD is my first one...Bing Sings Again (MCA), issued in 1987...

Track Listing
1. Ol' Spring Fever, The - (previously unreleased)
2. Dear Hearts and Gentle People
3. Beyond the Reef
4. Swinging on a Star
5. Where the Blue of the Night (Meets the Gold of the Day)
6. I'm an Old Cowhand (From the Rio Grande)
7. Welcome to My Dreams
8. (You Know It All) Smarty
9. Moonlight Becomes You
10. What's New?
11. I'm Through with You
12. Blue Skies
13. Too Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (That's an Irish Lullaby)
14. You Are Too Beautiful - (previously unreleased)
15. I Kiss Your Hand, Madame
16. Now Is the Hour (Maori Farewell Song)

Details
Playing Time: 47 min.
Producer: Steve Hoffman (Compilation)
Distributor: Universal Distribution
Recording Type: Studio
Recording Mode: Mono
SPAR Code: n/a
Album Notes
Recorded between 1931 & 1952.Digitally remastered by Steve Hoffman.Personnel: Bing Crosby (vocals).Audio Remasterer: Steve Hoffman.Bing Crosby was perhaps the most versatile singer who ever picked up a microphone. While never as deep as his successor Frank Sinatra, Crosby had the greater musical range in his ability to perform nearly any song credibly, all the way from hot jazz to home-on-the-range campfire songs. In fact, some "cowboy" numbers like the expansive "The Ol' Spring Fever" and "I'm an Old Cowhand (From the Rio Grande)" appear on this superior collection, compiled from the years 1931 through 1953 by famed remastering engineer Steve Hoffman.This span of years might lead one to expect a great disparity in sound and performance. What emerges instead is a thoughtful selection of Crosby's great and varied vocal art, some well-known songs such as "Swinging on a Star," and "Too Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral (That's an Irish Lullaby)," as well as standards like "Moonlight Becomes You," "What's New," and Rodgers & Hart's "You Are Too Beautiful." And just to emphasize Crosby's utter universality, there are two Hawaiian tunes, one of which, "Now Is the Hour (Maori Farewell Song)," closes the set in grand style.

18/1/2013 1:21 pm  #8

Wow! Great choices! I have all of them except the one David mentioned. So, I will chose one of them when the time comes. It is tough to chose just one but the ones mentioned are good choices with Great songs and Great sound quality!! I will play it on the Bose. Bing on the Bose!! Thanks Gentlemen!! I knew you'd come through!! Carmela

Peace and Love! 

18/1/2013 10:41 pm  #9

Lobosco,

Though I have quite an extensive collection of Crosby CDs and LPs, I didn't have and didn't know about Bing Sings Again. I like the track listing that you posted in your message, so I just ordered a second-hand copy of it from Amazon for $3 plus shipping. I can't wait to receive it! Believe it or not, there are some songs on there ("Smarty," of which Fats Waller does a hilarious version, "Welcome to My Dreams") that I have never heard done by Bing.

Thanks for the recommendation! 

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (18/1/2013 10:42 pm)

18/1/2013 11:04 pm  #10

48blonde wrote:

Based upon your criteria it's "Bing with a Beat" hands down.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

18/1/2013 11:22 pm  #11

I wanted to play a cd when certain people come to my house that's why I asked which one would be a good choice. I have all that were mentioned except BING SINGS AGAIN. The Legendary Years is another Great Set. I love the video of the same name too!!! Carmela

Peace and Love! 

Board footera