11/12/2012 5:11 pm  #1

The Christmas Recordings of Crosby, Sinatra, and Haymes

Hello all,

I just wanted to let you know that I just published a new article in my blog, The Vintage Bandstand, about the Christmas recordings of Bing, Frank, and Dick Haymes. As far as Bing is concerned, I concentrate mostly on the excellent Decca set The Voice of Christmas, which I consider essential listening around this time of year.

If you are interested in reading it, here is the link:

http://vintagebandstand.blogspot.com/2012/12/christmas-with-bing-frank-and-dick.html

I hope you enjoy it and wish everyone here a merry holiday season!

12/12/2012 7:15 am  #2

Re: The Christmas Recordings of Crosby, Sinatra, and Haymes

Excellent review, Anton. Many thanks for publishing it.

12/12/2012 3:12 pm  #3

Great article - especially the info on underrated crooner Dick Haymes!

13/12/2012 12:02 am  #4

Great reviews! If any of you are interested, the Columbia "Christmas Songs by Frank Sinatra" was later remastered and reissued using the same excellent technology used in "The Complete Columbia Recordings of Frank Sinatra" (a.k.a. "The Big Blue Box"). The only way to differentiate between the two editions is that the newer/finer sounding CD has an orange/gold trim around the outside edge of the CD booklet. There is no mention of the remastering or anything different visually between the two. If you can obtain a copy of the later edition it is well-worth your time and effort! Happy Holidays!!!

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

13/12/2012 1:55 am  #5

Thanks a lot for all your nice comments about the article! I am thrilled you enjoyed reading it! Due to all the work I have had teaching this semester, I haven't had a lot of time to devote to writing articles for my blog. But now that the end of the Fall semester is approaching, I wanted to pay tribute to these three great singers and their wonderful seasonal recordings.

I agree that Dick Haymes is sadly underrated in spite of the consistently high quality of his recorded legacy. He was quite influenced by Bing, and he remains one of my favorite vocalists of the 1940s. My blog also features an article on his excellent Capitol recordings, which I wrote a couple of years ago. Like Will Friedwald (he said this in his book Jazz Singing, I believe), I can listen to Dick Haymes sing ballads for hours on end! He just had a marvelous voice and a beautiful intimate approach to singing.

Well, back to grading another hundred final exams or so...

Board footera