02/10/2012 12:07 pm  #1

Bing Crosby Postcard On Ebay

I found this postcard on ebay for $200. The seller claims it is Bing on a horse in the 1920s. I just don't see it, but maybe someone else's keen eyes can tell me for sure.

I tried to just post the picture of it, but I couldn't figure it out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bing-Crosby-Horseback-Spokane-Wash-1920s-Real-Photo-/190733163161

Let me know.

02/10/2012 2:41 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby Postcard On Ebay

Don't believe it's Bing. Nothing like him!

02/10/2012 4:56 pm  #3

I'd need a very great deal of persuasion! A stack of 100 of these in ''the vaults'' for example. Until some such evidence is uncovered I will not believe it's Bing.

02/10/2012 6:38 pm  #4

I messaged the seller, and I may try to contact someone at Ebay.

02/10/2012 8:38 pm  #5

Here is the reply from the seller:

Dear lobosco107,

No problem with your opinion, any reasoning behind your scepticism? I,m willing to listen to your reasoning as I lived in Spokane for 15 years and purchased it from a well known postcard dealer there.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

- spocsa

03/10/2012 3:14 pm  #6

Here is the seller's reply...

Dear lobosco107,

The CYKO Stamp box was used through the 1920's. If you have any Bing pics, or links to, I would like to see them to compare. I think he dropped out of Gonzaga University 1924 or 1925, where he started in 1920. Could have been taken during his college years in SPokane, I know he left Spokane in 1925. This is not to be taken as a fraudulent representation with the given provenance. Also, there were many people in Spokane, including Lois Pendleton, Burt's wife, who felt that it did look like Bing Crosby when they purchase the photo album in Spokane. Any help, whichever way, will be helpful.

- spocsa

07/10/2012 6:08 pm  #7

Not sold - it had no bids. Not surprising with an asking price of $200, and to say the least, uncertain provenance.

My knowledge of early postcards is less than zero, but roaming around on the internet I found many examples of postcards from 1900 or thereabouts and onwards depicting a variety of country scenes with what I take to be anonymous models posing to assist in the depiction. There is no suggestion in most of these that they are intended to be of specific families or personages.  The CYKO stamp appears on much earlier cards and I do wonder whether the picture is earlier than the 1920s anyway - the general style looks so to me. 

The character that might very remotely possibly be Bing looks almost as if he is deliberately posing to have a stupid expression!

08/10/2012 12:02 pm  #8

I sent the seller pictures of Bing from the 1920s and he never responded back!

Board footera