30/8/2012 8:27 pm  #1

Bing Crosby Symphonette

I've just posted a new selection of songs from BING'S Longines Recordings - See what you Think - Tony

Link - http://bingsphotos.blogspot.com

Link - http://macca-roni.podomatic.com/entry/2012-08-30T12_23_12-07_00

31/8/2012 9:07 am  #2

Re: Bing Crosby Symphonette

Tony wrote:

I've just posted a new selection of songs from BING'S Longines Recordings - See what you Think - Tony

Thanks Tony, for drawing attention to those tracks. Bing's recordings on the Longines set of LPs are much overlooked and very overdue for issue as a set on CD in decent quality. The originals were mis-marketed - they were outnumbered by orchestral tracks with rather pedestrian arrangements on the LPs. Bing singing some very worthwhile material interspersed with soporific background/mood music. Not a good concept. I can't imagine what was in the minds of the producers (apart that is from the sales value of having Bing's name on the cover). 

The sound quality was good however and Bing's songs stand up well - some very well indeed.

31/8/2012 1:30 pm  #3

I cherish the CD of the songs I do have but I agree they need a proper reissue. Some of the recordings were so-so but some were really terrific like Puttin On The Ritz, Ballin The Jack, Isn't This A Lovely Day - off the top of my head.

When I was a novice Bing collector I bought the whole LP set thinking it was all Bing, and I was annoyed that Bing was only on one or two songs on each side. I was so young then!

31/8/2012 10:41 pm  #4

I believe that Geoff Love was in the U.K. and Bing recorded later in the U.S. I seem to recall that he had never met Bing.

03/9/2012 5:48 pm  #5

Jarbie I  agree whole-heartedly, Some of the numbers on this set are quite good quality as you have pointed out - But, way too many instrumentals on this set - I have more to follow, that you and others here, may be pleased with - I'll keep you posted!

P.S.  I have a total of 36 numbers that I have found in The Longines Set -

04/9/2012 7:44 am  #6

Tony wrote:

P.S.  I have a total of 36 numbers that I have found in The Longines Set -

- which means, Tony that you have the second version, reissued after the addition of 20 titles, a great improvement on the original 16 tracks, completely outnumbered by the orchestral additions.

I have had a personal e - mail complaining about the my ''cavalier dismissal'' of the orchestral tracks and specifically the work of Geoff Love. I apologise. Geoff Love was a very competent arranger/conductor. I am sure he fulfilled his brief in providing the orchestral tracks 100%.

My complaint is not with the quality of them but that they were included in the package in the first place. My views are also slanted against them by what I thought at the time was to some extent dishonest marketing - the promotion of a set of LPs containing 72 tracks with the implication that they were all by Bing, when only 16 were by him. That was only partly and belatedly ameliorated by the reissue a couple of years later with 72 tracks of which half - 36, as Tony says, by Bing. If I wanted lush orchestral sounds in the Mantovani manner I would have bought such an album. I was buying (I thought) Bing and I only got him in short measure.

However this was all in 1966 and 1968 so perhaps most have forgotten (or might never have known about it at all!)

04/9/2012 12:19 pm  #7

Richard - I get the same emails sometimes when I dismiss the arrangement of Buddy Cole, so I feel your pain. We are not dismissing the obviously talented arranger and band leaders, but Bing's voice - especially in the 1950s and 1960s needed a very particular type of backing.

Anyways, I think one of the best songs from that symphonette series was "Friendly Persuasion". It sounds lush and well arranged - and Bing was in good voice.

09/9/2012 1:51 pm  #8

I recall posting my disappoinment on Steven Lewis's forum when I first encountered these records. (too bad we can't link this discussion back to that one) It struck me as a clear case of deceptive packaging meant to dupe Crosby fans into buying a large record set which barely included enough songs sung by Crosby to fill a single LP.  It pretty much descredited the Longines entity as legitimate for me, though I think I have since heard of something good they issued (but I can't remember what it was).  I seem to recall some good songs hidden in these records, sung well by Bing, but not produced with nearly the distinctiveness that they might have been given.

10/9/2012 1:50 pm  #9

What was deceiving for me as a young collector was the Symphonette albums only had one or two songs by Bing on it. However, they issued a 3 or 4 LP set of Mills Brothers songs and they performed on every track.

If you piece those Bing recordings together, it is a really nice batch of songs that Bing did not get around to record in the 1930s or 1940s.

11/9/2012 6:59 pm  #10

Strange how the boxed set was called 'The Songs I Love', a treasury of songs by Bing Crosby.
The set I have (BIA) about a 50/50 of tracks, maybe a fraction less.
But what I was surprised at was the title of the album having Bing say 'The Songs I Love". It has been said that
Bing didn't like to say "I love" as quoted by Van Heusen with "Moonlight Becomes You" when he had to write ...'if I say I love you'.  But I've always felt that was a bit of nonsense as Bing recorded "I Love You, Truly" in 1934, 1943, 1945, 1954. Then there are the two songs, both called, "I Love You". Grieg's version 15/12/44 and the Porter version 11/2/44.
"I Love You, Samantha" 1956. There were other "I Love" songs as well...'a piano'; ...'my baby';...'Paris';..'the look of you'; ..'to dance like they used to dance''; ...'to whistle';..'for sentimental reasons'; ...'from coast to coast';...'whoever you are'.
So, did Bing like to say 'I love' or not?

12/9/2012 8:31 am  #11

I never had the Symphonette albums on LP, but seem to have all the Bing tracks on a couple of "Harry Lillis" CDs I've had for some years.

I'd heard that story about Bing's apparent reluctance to sing "I Love...". I don't know where it came from, but Ron's list certainly seems to call it into question.

(By the way, Ron, glad to see that "BIA" has caught on! Look forward to seeing you at Leeds.)

01/10/2012 12:53 pm  #12

I would hope that the Longines boxed sets wouldn't turn off a new collector from all lp boxed sets, for the Reader's Digest two, larger boxed sets "Bing Sings" and "Bing Sings Again" are quite excellent compilations.  Sometimes these heavy sets, when found at charity shops, turn out to only have wear on the first side or disk, too.

02/10/2012 8:55 pm  #13

Steve Fay wrote:

I would hope that the Longines boxed sets wouldn't turn off a new collector from all lp boxed sets, for the Reader's Digest two, larger boxed sets "Bing Sings" and "Bing Sings Again" are quite excellent compilations.  Sometimes these heavy sets, when found at charity shops, turn out to only have wear on the first side or disk, too.

If it is a new collector, I doubt they will even look for LPs at this point - unfortunately. What is so odd is there is a Mills Brother LP set on Longines that features all the songs by them. It was quite good too.

Board footera