27/6/2012 9:36 am  #1

WARNING- ''Phishing'' emails

A warning.

In the past 24 hours I have received an email purporting to come from a prominent member of the Crosby community, (not a member of this forum), claiming that he is stranded in the UK and needs financial help.

In the same time frame I received another email purporting from a member of this forum, in very similar form but this time claiming to be stranded in Spain and, having had wallet and credit cards stolen, needs assistance.

Both communications are in what I can only call classic ''phishing'' style - the claimed difficulties are maximized and generally badly written with several errors.

I cannot imagine many people being fooled, but my main purpose in making this post is to draw attention to the possibility that email addresses might have been hi-jacked.  I recently banned someone who had submitted a false email address.

27/6/2012 11:53 am  #2

Re: WARNING- ''Phishing'' emails

I get those once in awhile but never from a reported Bing fan. I love all of the Bing fans I have become friends with - but no offense if any of you are stranded anywhere - don't contact me, you'll stay stranded.

Surprisingly a lot of people are fooled by these scams.

27/6/2012 3:55 pm  #3

Lobosco wrote:

I get those once in awhile but never from a reported Bing fan. I love all of the Bing fans I have become friends with - but no offense if any of you are stranded anywhere - don't contact me, you'll stay stranded.

David, I do not think that the emails actually came from the ''Crosby'' people concerned, but from others who somehow hi-jacked the email accounts.  I am familiar with the style of one of the people concerned and the email is certainly not in keeping with it.

27/6/2012 6:30 pm  #4

Yes, you are right. Our man's emails were hacked into and his password changed. Everyone on his mailing list got an phishing email. It will be 24 hours before he regains control.

27/6/2012 11:58 pm  #5

Richard Baker wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

David, I do not think that the emails actually came from the ''Crosby'' people concerned, but from others who somehow hi-jacked the email accounts.  I am familiar with the style of one of the people concerned and the email is certainly not in keeping with it.

Oh I know. It is sad how people's accounts can be hacked. It has happened to me.

Usually I get an email from a Nigerian king trying to give me his fortune.

30/6/2012 3:31 am  #6

I believe I got that email.  In my case it was easy to tell that it was bogus, since I don't know that member well enough that he would email me for money -- besides, he would have had the telephone numbers of several other prominent UK Crosby fans in his possession were he on a trip there and could have easily telephoned several people he had been close friends with for many years were he actually stranded.

A few months ago I received a similiar message pretending to be from an old college friend...stranded in Europe.  A tremendous fellow, but someone I've had little communication with in the past 20 years.  He obviously would have turned to several dozen more current and closer friends were he in dire need of cash.

A couple years ago on a different interest group forum, some of us got our frustrations out about this sort of thing by composing parodies of the scam emails we had received. It was good for a few laughs, but I don't know of a remedy for the problem beyond being on the lookout or warning others as Richard has done.

30/6/2012 1:38 pm  #7

Please note that Wig Wiggins' new email address is wigbing2012@gmail.com  Please amend your records if you have him in your contact lists.

Board footera