29/5/2012 2:48 pm  #1

White Christmas Anniversary

Today, May 29, is the anniversary of the recording of the original studio version of White Christmas in 1942.

Two big anniversaries in one month.

I'm afraid that I always think of the recording as a bit of a mixed blessing, simply because so many people who recognise Bing's name merely react with the identification with the song. To the general public, it's like an enormous blanket smothering so much of the rest of Bing's work.  And of course he would still have been an enormously successful star even without it.

29/5/2012 4:38 pm  #2

Re: White Christmas Anniversary

Very true. BUT I cannot think of any other performer so immediately linked with one immensely immortal tune. It will keep Bing "alive" forever.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

29/5/2012 4:39 pm  #3

Yes, I agree with you, Richard. But I suppose that some people who discover Bing through "White Christmas" sometimes look further at his work.

29/5/2012 5:04 pm  #4

A couple of weeks ago I wrote to the Centralia (Washington State) 'Chronicle' reminding them that Bing's birthdate was coming up on Thursday 3rd. May. (They only publish now on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday). I did this as the paper had run a - this time in history - and mentioned some birthdays. Come 3rd. May no mention of Bing. So, I wrote to the paper and asked why Bing wasn't mentioned as he was born some 50 miles away. The response was that he wasn't from East Lewis County.
Well, blow me down, a week or two later they mentioned that Dennis Hopper was born 'on this day' and also showed his death date. Then they listed other so called 'stars', whom I'd never heard of.
So, a quick e-mail off again and I told the bloke that he had lied to me as Dennis Hopper was born in Texas and the others in other parts of the world.
The Editor did respond with some stuff or other and I wrote and reminded him that the 29th. May was the day Bing recorded 'White Christmas' in 1942. (I didn't mention that it is also the birthdate of my late Uncle Archie or Bob Hope).
He responded saying that he would try and list it if space was available.
I will be checking the paper when it arrives later in the day.

30/5/2012 12:00 am  #5

Sadly there is no mention in The Chronicle today. They didn't run 'Today in History'.

06/6/2012 5:59 am  #6

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Sydney radio station 702AM surprised me in its breakfast session on May 29 by playing Bing's 'White Christmas' and noting that it had been recorded seventy years ago and announcing that it was the biggest-selling Christmas song. Amazing that someone in the station knew about that recording date, but not that it's the biggest-selling single (assuming that's still the case).

Board footera