25/1/2012 6:32 pm  #1

'At Last'

Over the last few days there has been much mention of 'At Last' as sung by Etta James, recently deceased.

No disrespect to Miss James, but such attention obscures the fact that it was originally an outstanding hit as performed by Glenn Miller in 1942, with vocals by Ray Eberle and Pat Friday.

Bing sang it several times on radio at the time, but for some reason never got around to recording it until 1976. To my mind a subtle and considered treatment.

And I suspect that the intentions of Mack Gordon and Harry Warren were a little more faithfully followed by both Glenn and Bing than, may I say, the slightly tortured treatment of Miss James.

But it was also covered by Nat Cole, Doris Day, Ella, Connie Haines, Judy Garland (and daughter Liza Minelli), and many other notables.

Not wanting to be too controversial, but I sometimes do think that the established 'Standards' can stand on their own feet without being mauled. Rather like reinterpreting Beethoven to a 'rock' treatment.

25/1/2012 11:51 pm  #2

Re: 'At Last'

I agree with you that the originals to the great standards are the best - and Glenn Miller had the best version. However, our wedding song was Etta James' version of At Last. It's not my favorite version but it definitely sets the mood.

Board footera