08/12/2011 4:12 pm  #1

Why is record different from the movie version -- "Bells of St.Marys"?

In the beginning of the radio adaptation of "Bells of St. Mary's," Bing's character of Father O'Malley acknowledges how the simple school song is sacred hymn to those dedicated the school and its heritage. I have always thought that the version Bing sings in the movie, with the good sisters singing their bell-like backing, was lovely...and very moving.  I can get a bit choked up listening to it, with a level of nostalgia far beyond what I have for any of the grammar schools I attended, ignorant of whether any of them even had a song. 

(Ahhh ... a part of this protestant lad would have considered converting to Catholicism to have had a teacher like Ingrid Bergman, rather than most of my own teachers, though the risk of finding instead nuns with temperments more like Godzilla, according to the descriptions of Catholic neighborhood playmates, made such a choice a bit daunting.) 

In any case, the movie version of the "Bells of St. Mary's" song is very dear to me, and a few years ago when I acquired an LP including that song title, I was thrilled...until I played it.  Then I was shocked, no horrified, no appalled to find this lovely, spiritual, school song replaced by a completely different lyric set to similar music (no nun bells).  A timeless hymn replaced by a mere romantic love song, well-sung by Bing of course, but not at all what it was supposed to be.

Since then, I have tried to speculate what reason there might have been for this.  Did no one think the school song would be popular as a record?  Was the song originally written as a love song, but adapted as the movie's school song?  Did some one at Decca go mad?

I suspect some other fans know much more than me about what was behind this, and I hope they will offer some illumination here.  Are others disappointed about the record version, too?

Last edited by Steve Fay (08/12/2011 4:14 pm)

08/12/2011 6:43 pm  #2

Re: Why is record different from the movie version -- "Bells of St.Marys"?

It was of course quite normal for songs to be re - recorded for commercial release, with film and record versions ending up quite different, with different accompaniments.  It was only in the 1950s that we started getting more or less genuine soundtrack versions on LP. 

I do agree that in this case the difference between versions is greater than some others, and yes, the film version is very attractive.

I claim no expertise on this particular are but would suggest possible reasons for re-recording (and reworking the arrangement) might have included the following -
The film studio and the record company were two separate organisations - each were doing this their way, with their own arrangers and choice of accompanists.
The film studio methodology might have been to record live with filming and thus not produce ideal audio for record - there could well be incidental (intended) noises.
There could have been competing rights involved.
In the case of 'White Christmas' there was of course even an inability to have the two stars perform on the same record for contractual reasons, so we have different performers.

In this particular case the song in the film lasts little more than one and a half minutes (and Bing ends it with a break into something else and a joke). The song in that form would have had to be expanded anyway.
The record company might well have been reluctant to pay the costs of a professional female chorus to replicate the arrangement used in the film even if they wanted to use the same arrangement.

I'm sure others might be able to adduce other reasons, possibly on a sounder footing than my conjecture.

It is interesting that the song originated years before and was inspired by an actual church - St Mary's, in Southampton, Hampshire, England, and the whole film title thus became built around it.

Wikipedia says 
A ring of eight bells was first installed in 1914. Cast at John Taylor's Foundry in Loughborough, they were given by Mary Ann Wingrove in memory of her late husband, Robert, in 1913, and brought to St. Mary's from Southampton Docks railway station in a horse-drawn procession. A further two bells were added in 1934.
Following the destruction of much of the church in November 1940, the damaged bells were taken away for safe-keeping. However, ten new bells were recast from the metal of the originals in 1945, again by Taylor's, and rang again in 1948.
In 1914, Australian composer A. Emmett Adams and British lyricist Douglas Furber were in Southampton when they heard the recently installed bells ringing across the town, inspiring them to write the song, "The Bells Of St. Mary's". The song was later made famous by Bing Crosby in the film of the same name and has since been recorded by many other artistes.

In origin the church is much much older than the bells on question, with foundations dating back to AD634 but the present church is the sixth on the site, being rebuilt in the 1950s following war damage.

Quoting on the authority of Fred Reynolds it seems other educational establishments have since adopted the song - The US Merchant Marine School, Bronx, NY, and the US Maritime Academy, King Point, New York.

Last edited by Richard Baker (08/12/2011 6:46 pm)

08/12/2011 7:29 pm  #3

Richard,  I had wondered whether the division between the record and film production and rights issues, as with "White Christmas" might have been part of the problem, though I can't complain about anything that got Bing and Peggy Lee singing together on an LP, something I wish she had gotten to do as offen as Rosemary Clooney did.  While the arrangements on the "White Christmas" LP are a little different, and the vocal interpretations a bit different in places, none of them substitue entirely new lyrics that would have been out of place in the movie.  The abandonment of the movie lyric entirely is what bothers me most with the "Bells of St. Mary's" record.

But if the original song music and lyrics were actually written well prior to the movie in connection with the church you mention, then perhaps Bing is singing the original lyric.  But I consider it a stretch to say that the song he was singing on the record was in or made famous by the movie -- either on record labels or tourism literature about those English church bells.  It is true of the music, but not of the song as a whole.  The music is beautiful, and I know of some instrumental versions of it, but I always think of the school in the movie when I hear them.

I would assume the Merchant Marine changed the song lyrics, too, but probably in order profess love of their institution, as opposed to some romance.  My high school's sports fight song was based on the music from the University of Wisconsin's famous "On Wisconsin!"  We sang, instead, "T. T. H. S."  You had to have a marching band playing for it to sound as jaunty.

Postscript: the pictured church is lovely.  If ever I get to the UK, I must take long Wordsworthian walks to see such things.

Last edited by Steve Fay (08/12/2011 7:39 pm)

10/12/2011 7:13 pm  #4

Two comments to make. (1) Quite often the on screen version of a song was different to the commercial recording. The film version of 'Rhythm On The River" is different to the recording. "I Wish I Was Aladdin". the film version (which I prefer) is much better then the commercial recording.
Now, "The Bells of St. Mary's". Was always told that it was Australian and written about Sydney's St. Mary's Cathedral. But from the quote by Richard I assume there was confusion that an Australian had a hand in the writing of the song and, again, people assumed it was about Sydney's Cathedral.

10/12/2011 11:45 pm  #5

Ron Field wrote:

Was always told that it was Australian and written about Sydney's St. Mary's Cathedral. But from the quote by Richard I assume there was confusion that an Australian had a hand in the writing of the song and, again, people assumed it was about Sydney's Cathedral.

Ron, I was relying on the Wikipedia entry, but I see that the Southampton City Tourist office and the Church authorities make the same claim. - http://www.sotoncitycentreparish.hampshire.org.uk/bellsofstmary.html

A downloadable .pdf file here with full details of the bells and the change ringing accomplished there, including   STEDMAN TRIPLES - GRANDSIRE CATER - KENT TREBLE BOB ROYAL -  - but don't ask me to interpret! http://www.sotoncitycentreparish.hampshire.org.uk/bellringers.pdf
Part of this includes 'Even greater publicity was achieved later that year when Douglas Furber and the Australian composer A. Emmett Adams, on a dark, wartime night, heard St. Mary’s original octave sounding across the River Itchen while waiting for their liner, and were inspired to write the song 'The Bells of St. Mary’s' .  Introduced to the U.S.A. in 1917 as the college song of the New York State Maritime College, it achieved international popularity when recorded by Bing Crosby on 2nd  March 1946'  Pity the date is a few months out.

I've been trying to find a recording on the internet of them, but here is one that is fairly typical of the larger peals of bells - it is at Rochester Cathedral, in Kent.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=movK5nf32k0&feature=related.

Last edited by Richard Baker (10/12/2011 11:47 pm)

11/12/2011 3:22 am  #6

I did discover that my Sandyhook LP with the radio adaptation of Bells of St. Mary's includes a rendition of the song that is very nearly identical to the movie version.  It is not set off as a separate track.

Board footera