16/7/2015 3:34 pm  #1

George O'Reilly

George O'Reilly was called "Bing's favourite Irishman".

He had a long friendship with Bing over many years and among other activities was responsible for the CD "A Little Bit Of Irish".

[img]http://cdn.discogs.com/_nyT0reLdAM4wN1VwN9KQqf_c-c=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-2674485-1296042106.jpeg.jpg[/img]

The Irish Times here covers his memories of a visit to Hollywood to see Bing, when Bing asked if he would like to attend a late night recording session with Dean Martin. There was not a very happy outcome. 

I'm not 100% certain about the story, which includes the comment " - - -work that was lubricated throughout in Martin's case, by large glasses of vodka", as I have heard and read several comments from those  who might know, that Dean Martin's drinking was an "act".

However, an interesting story for it's other content. Click on the link and see what you think. 

24/7/2015 4:52 pm  #2

Re: George O'Reilly

There is SO MUCH of that story that can be proven inaccurate that I cannot begin to list them. I shall leave it at that. Someone is looking for their 15 minutes of "fame" during the Centennial.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

25/7/2015 11:14 pm  #3

i don't believe the story and I won't say why. And Frankie may have cursed but this Italian don't. I try not to. At least I don't say the F word. This lady is no tramp. 

Peace and Love! 

26/7/2015 10:01 am  #4

I somehow expected some interest in this topic. Unfortunately only two fifths of the responders have chosen to say anything in public on this board. Of the others the most polite comment made to me is along the lines that memories can become distorted with the years and that minor incidents can grow in the mind into much greater, more significant happenings, with the result that gross distortions occur.

George O'Reilly was mentioned in the original "Irish Times" article almost as if he was just another a reader of the paper who had submitted a letter. He was more than that, as he had roles in Irish TV, radio and recording.  He presented Bing's "Irish" TV show on 14 March 1967 "A Little Bit Of Irish" as well as producing the similarly named CD partly based on the TV show.

I'm not in a position to know the truth and therefore have no particular view of my own.

Board footera