19/6/2015 1:56 pm  #1

BING'S INFLUENCE ON DEAN MARTIN

It's no secret that Bing was one of the biggest influences on Dean Martin (along with Al Jolson and Harry Mills). In fact, the earliest extant demo tape made by Dino, according to Will Friedwald, has him singing "I Surrender Dear" and sounding a lot like Crosby (though, in all fairness, I've never heard that tape).

I recently published an article on Dean Martin discussing his eight Capitol studio albums, which he cut between 1953 and 1962, and I was staggered to find out just how much of an influence Crosby was on Martin at this early stage in his career. Pretty much every album includes at least one (and often several more that one) song associated with Bing. The influence became less obvious (at least as far as the repertoire was concerned) when Dino switched labels and began recording for Reprise. His Reprise albums have more of a country feel to them, as though he had abandoned Tin Pan Alley for Nashville's Music Row, and he doesn't sing almost any songs associated with Bing. However, bearing in mind that Bing was one of the first pop singers to record country and western stuff successfully, there's still something of Bing in Martin's country-oriented LPs.

Board footera