10/1/2011 3:37 pm  #1

Universal giving Bing's masters to the Library of Congress

This is an interesting development. See http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-music-donating-200k-master-69817

You will recall that many masters were lost in a fire so presumably Universal think this is a safer thing to do! Bing Crosby Enterprises were attempting to get Bing's masters back so how this will affect things I don't know.

11/1/2011 11:13 am  #2

Re: Universal giving Bing's masters to the Library of Congress

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

This is an interesting development. See http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-music-donating-200k-master-69817

You will recall that many masters were lost in a fire so presumably Universal think this is a safer thing to do! Bing Crosby Enterprises were attempting to get Bing's masters back so how this will affect things I don't know.

A very interesting development indeed, and with what consequences?? The reports all concentrate on the physical handover of masters. Does this imply something distinct from the rights or do the rights go too?

One of the reports  has a spokesperson for UMG saying that there is nothing marketable or some similar implication. That has to be a joke. Maybe for a mass market manufacturer but have they never heard of niche marketing? Haven't they seen the pent up demand? Small scale, probably, but categorically there and ready to be capitalised upon if handled in the right way. I'm not just referring to Bing's recordings either. Perhaps this is an indication of why some in the record industry have lost their way.

Then there is the Library Of Congress. Will they make the recordings available for commercial exploitation? I assume from the outcome of the recent legal case that the Crosby family still have rights arising from everything UMG sells. Presumably the action of UMG cannot unilaterally remove those rights which will now arise in relation to the Library of Congress activities. ??? (VERY BIG QUESTION MARK)

11/1/2011 3:35 pm  #3

Malcolm and/or Richard,

Is there a place online or in print which lists which masters were lost?

Best regards,

Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson

11/1/2011 4:31 pm  #4

<<Is there a place online or in print which lists which masters were lost?>>

Afraid not. Sorry!

11/1/2011 4:57 pm  #5

11/1/2011 4:57 pm  #6

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

<<Is there a place online or in print which lists which masters were lost?>>

Afraid not. Sorry!

Thank you for the quick reply, Malcolm - I assumed such was the case, and I now recall a few articles I read in the past regarding how much of what Universal lost in the fire (they weren't forthcoming to the press, at least).

Best regards,

Zane

Zane Johnson

11/1/2011 5:09 pm  #7

Richard Baker wrote:

One of the reports  has a spokesperson for UMG saying that there is nothing marketable or some similar implication. That has to be a joke. Maybe for a mass market manufacturer but have they never heard of niche marketing? Haven't they seen the pent up demand? Small scale, probably, but categorically there and ready to be capitalised upon if handled in the right way. I'm not just referring to Bing's recordings either. Perhaps this is an indication of why some in the record industry have lost their way.

I would definitely agree.  Other than the "Legendary Years..." box set from 1993 and various compilations, have Universal/MCA done anything else with Bing's extensive catalog?  If so, I apologize in advance because I am uncertain (I guess I haven't found/discovered anything else).  If it wasn't for the "Chronological"/"Through The Years" series, I don't know how else I would have been able to listen some of the non-compilation gems of Bing's Decca work (of course, other than constantly searching for the original 78's...).

Best regards,

Zane

Zane Johnson

11/1/2011 6:24 pm  #8

zanereed wrote:

Other than the "Legendary Years..." box set from 1993 and various compilations, have Universal/MCA done anything else with Bing's extensive catalog? 

Best regards,

Zane

Zane,
There have been a few since 1993, but possibly you meant to include them in the phrase 'various compilations'.  I particularly remember 'Some Fine Old Chestnuts/New Tricks' , 'Best Of Bing Crosby' - 2 CDs in 1996,  'Forever Bing' another 2 CDs in 2003,  'Holiday In Europe' from MCA Japan. Possibly there were one or two others,  but basically your sentiments are correct.  Few and far between.

Most of the Decca material is inevitably going to be of a compilation nature as it was mostly recorded before the days of the LP album.

I had thought that the recent inactivity from that Decca/UMG might have been attributable to the legal proceedings, but must now assume it is due to their assessment that they have no marketable value. A view that I find bewildering.

11/1/2011 7:23 pm  #9

Richard Baker wrote:

I had thought that the recent inactivity from that Decca/UMG might have been attributable to the legal proceedings, but must now assume it is due to their assessment that they have no marketable value. A view that I find bewildering.

Bewildering? I find it infuriating. And actually, in the NPR article it is a Library of Congress employee who makes that statement. I'll stop myself before unleashing a string of expletives about what I think the he has in place of a brain.

Also, according to the NY Times article, Decca/UMG still retains the rights to the material despite the handover of the masters: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/arts/music/10masters.html?_r=1&src=twrhp

12/1/2011 11:21 am  #10

Emily

Thank you for your corrections.

This might be just a bit too much for my ageing grey-matter but have I got this right?
1 UMG has donated to L of C all their masters.
2 L of C pays costs of storing, preserving and digitising.
3 But UMG retain commercial rights.
4 Therefore L of C have no commercial rights (and don't think they are worth anything anyway) so have no motive to issue or licence anything for issue.
5 But, post digitisation, UMG will be able to use the digitised copies commercially (free of cost to them?).
6 But UMG have shown little or no inclination to do much with what they have and by their very action in donating seem to be demonstrating that they see little worth in the material.
7 And, presumably, the Crosby Family still have a right to royalties.

I'm still bewildered. And, yes, Emily, infuriated too, because I can still not see where and how any motivation might arise for the actual issue of any worthwhile material. I have no idea what unknowns might be hidden away - we are told of studio chatter - but undiscovered takes, tests, fluffs rehearsals? Possibly too much to expect after all these years, but it would be nice to see an inventory.

BTW I did UMG a (small) injustice - in my earlier post noting a few examples of UMG issues I failed to mention 'Academy Award Winners and Nominees' of 2000, a very good issue in which Wig Wiggins was directly instrumental.  At that time there does seem to have been cooperation with fans and understanding of their wishes on the part of UMG.

13/1/2011 3:29 am  #11

Richard Baker wrote:

Zane,
There have been a few since 1993, but possibly you meant to include them in the phrase 'various compilations'.  I particularly remember 'Some Fine Old Chestnuts/New Tricks' , 'Best Of Bing Crosby' - 2 CDs in 1996,  'Forever Bing' another 2 CDs in 2003,  'Holiday In Europe' from MCA Japan. Possibly there were one or two others,  but basically your sentiments are correct.  Few and far between.

Most of the Decca material is inevitably going to be of a compilation nature as it was mostly recorded before the days of the LP album.

Hi Richard,

You are absolutely correct about the compilation nature.  Besides the 1993 box set, the compilation I love the most is the one overseen by Wig ("A Centennial Anthology of His Decca Recordings" from 2003).

The more I read about this story, the more I'm bewildered as well.  You make some great points, Emily.

Zane Johnson

23/3/2022 6:29 pm  #12

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - but is there now any knowledge of any of Bing's masters actually being destroyed in the fire?

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (23/3/2022 6:30 pm)

Board footera