13/1/2015 10:41 pm  #1

PEGGY KING ON ENCOUNTERING BING CROSBY

Dear all,

I read Marc Myers's blog JazzWax regularly, and this morning I saw that he had published the first part of an interview with vocalist Peggy King, famous for her work on television in the 1950s, among other things. The interview is very interesting, and you can access it here:

http://www.jazzwax.com/2015/01/interview-peggy-king-part-one.html

At some point during the interview, Ms. King talks about encountering Bing Crosby for the very first time and not recognizing him at first! Here's the excerpt:

JW: What was your big break?
PK: One day I got a call from someone I knew who was rehearsing The Bing Crosby Show. The girl singer had become ill, so I ran over to fill in. When I rushed into the lobby, I asked the first person I saw where the show was. I said, “I’m looking for Mr. Crosby.” The guy said, “Well, you’ve found him.” He didn’t have his hairpiece on and I thought he was the janitor. On the set, John Scott Trotter was the orchestra leader. He said, “What do you want to sing?” I said let’s do two Rodgers and Hart songs. When I was finished, Bing said, “Wow, you’re as good as Uncle John said you were.” I felt so good about that. 

I thought I'd share it because I thought it was a rather funny story... 

13/1/2015 11:48 pm  #2

Re: PEGGY KING ON ENCOUNTERING BING CROSBY

Peggy King appeared on The Bing Crosby Show For General Electric on March 14th 1954 

She sang "Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody" solo and duetted with Bing on "That’s Amore (That’s Love)"

So far as I can trace there were no others, so presumably this is the occasion, but neither of the songs are by Rodgers and Hart, so one can only assume they were audition pieces. 

14/1/2015 7:42 am  #3

Re: PEGGY KING ON ENCOUNTERING BING CROSBY

There's an interview with Peggy in BING magazine #161 (summer 2012).

Board footera