03/11/2014 8:50 pm  #1

Bob Hope

I don't know much about Bob Hope but there is a new book about him: http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Entertainer-Century-Richard-Zoglin/dp/1439140278/

I imagine Bing will have to be mentioned within its pages.

13/11/2014 7:56 pm  #2

Re: Bob Hope

The previews I've read do speak of how much they disliked each other personally. I doon't know how deeply the book will delave into that. It also "confirms" some of the underground stories we have heard about Bob for years regarding his attraction to women. It may be a good one and the it might be a hatchet job. We'll see....

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

13/11/2014 10:37 pm  #3

Entertainer of the century? That's a laugh. Bing was the entertainer.
Bing bought into a baseball team, then Bob did.
Bing bought into oil, then Bob did.
Bing had 4 children, then Bob did and so it goes on.
In the 50's I worked for Hoyt's Theatres in Sydney. A writer came and joined our publicity department, an Aussie who worked in Hollywood as a writer. He said that Hollywood was waiting for the marriage of Bob Hope to Bob Hope.
Bing had his golf tournament then Bob started his. Whatever Bing did Hope followed.
I'm sure the book will be a not too bad a read but the title leaves much to be desired.

31/12/2014 4:39 pm  #4

The book was quite good. It gave a fair and balanced portrayal of Bob Hope. He painted a picture of Bob as a great entertainer - as he was in the 1930s and 1940s, but it also shows Hope's not so flattering side. Bob was a great comedian of the 20th century but like Ron Field wrote above, Bing was the entertainer of the century by a long shot.

31/12/2014 7:05 pm  #5

Bob was a bit tight with his money too.
Years ago on British TV, may have been the Eamon Andrews show, BBC paid Bob and Bing 250 quid each. Bing didn't wish to take the money because he was aware of how the BBC worked. However, Bob insisted he have the money. Bing still didn't want the fee but because Bob took it Bing HAD to take his 250.

01/1/2015 2:36 pm  #6

If this book says there really was a feud between Hope and Crosby, then it completely contradicts what the new TV documentary says about that, leading me to think the book is just warmed-over crap.

01/1/2015 3:01 pm  #7

No there was no feud between them, but the book basically said they had a business friendship and not a personal one which I could see. Maybe later in life they became closer, but Bob was kind of the opposite of Bing - Bob lived to perform and that is all he truly cared about. Bob liked to party and led a different life. Bing did not always have to hear applause and was much more laid back.

Board footera