20/7/2014 11:44 pm  #1

James Garner passed away

RIP James! You and your talent will be missed!!

Peace and Love! 

21/7/2014 10:58 am  #2

Re: James Garner passed away

If you were watching ABC TV in the US on 2 March 1959, you would have seen a youngish James Garner on the "The Bing Crosby Show for Oldsmobile".

James apparently sang "Gunslinger" solo followed by "Hooray For Love" with Jo Stafford. 

I've never seen it, don't know what "Gunslinger" is and so far as I can establish that particular part of the show has never been on DVD. Others might know better, and might wish to try to find clips on such as YouTube.

21/7/2014 11:35 am  #3

Bing joined in "Hooray for Love" too.

21/7/2014 11:46 am  #4

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

So he did. I want to see it! It's not too far fetched that someone might have a copy!

21/7/2014 9:18 pm  #5

TCM's tribute:

I'm a big fan of Maverick and some of his films. No one better at playing a "James Garner" character -- a bit cowardly, possibly cynical, but you know he'll come through in the end. And above all extremely *likeable*.

Richard Baker wrote:

If you were watching ABC TV in the US on 2 March 1959, you would have seen a youngish James Garner on the "The Bing Crosby Show for Oldsmobile".

James apparently sang "Gunslinger" solo followed by "Hooray For Love" with Jo Stafford. 

I've never seen it, don't know what "Gunslinger" is and so far as I can establish that particular part of the show has never been on DVD. Others might know better, and might wish to try to find clips on such as YouTube.

I've noticed this discrepancy. In my copy Garner sings "Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home" (perched on a giant wooden rocking horse), and it's a few minutes after "Hooray for Love."

Richard Baker wrote:

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

So he did. I want to see it! It's not too far fetched that someone might have a copy!

I'll take that as my cue -- I actually almost uploaded this yesterday, and now since you mentioned it...

21/7/2014 9:54 pm  #6

Nicoley, I thought that if anyone could produce this the odds had to be on you!,

Thank you very much. Great stuff from over 55 years ago. 

Board footera