23/3/2014 5:40 am  #1

More Items Added to Bing Blog Pages

After a longish hiatus, I’ve finally gotten around to scanning a few more Bing items from my collection, which have been duly posted to my blog. Recently added to the Records page you’ll find the cover of the 10” LP Auld Lang Syne from 1949, the 45 picture sleeve and record of “Nothing in Common,” a few public service radio recordings, and Bing’s San Francisco Experience LP from 1970. New to the Memorabilia page are more than a half-dozen movie stills and publicity photos (one a stunning signed portrait from the early 1930s), including representatives from Billboard Girl, The Big Broadcast, Rhythm on the Range, Double or Nothing, and Rhythm on the River. Happy scrolling.
http://derbingle.blogspot.com/p/bing-crosby-records-and-album-covers.html
http://derbingle.blogspot.com/p/bing-crosby-memorabilia-advertising-and.html

23/3/2014 8:23 am  #2

Re: More Items Added to Bing Blog Pages

Some lovely stuff there, Jon.

02/4/2014 11:11 pm  #3

Jon,

This is wonderful stuff, and it actually elicits a question. One of the label shots lists the title "If I Had a Talking Picture of You" in English and then in Spanish, underneath and in parentheses. It says "Una Pelicula Parlante de Ti," which means, precisely, "A Talking Picture of You" (they omitted the "If I Had" part in the translation). Do you have any idea why that record, manufactured in the U.S., has the titles in English and in Spanish? None of the other label shots appears in both languages...

Any information about that, anyone?

03/4/2014 6:23 am  #4

Anton G.-F. wrote:

Jon,

- - - One of the label shots lists the title "If I Had a Talking Picture of You" in English and then in Spanish, underneath and in parentheses. It says "Una Pelicula Parlante de Ti," which means, precisely, "A Talking Picture of You" (they omitted the "If I Had" part in the translation). - -

Any information about that, anyone?

Anton, I have no idea why that particular example shows  a Spanish title alongside the original.  An issue intended for sale abroad perhaps?  But there are many other instances of imprecise translations of titles for issue of records abroad. Some are shown in an earlier post of my own here http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=239

03/4/2014 10:35 pm  #5

Thanks, Richard! I do remember that earlier post that you mention, which I've read before and found really interesting. The case of "If I Had a Talking Picture of You" is particularly curious because the translation that they used for talking picture sounds a little odd to a Spanish speaker. I've never heard anyone say pelicula parlante for a talkie; what most people would say would be pelicula sonora, something like sound movie. My guess is that this particular record was issued for sale abroad, as you say, but then whoever did the Spanish translation most likely wasn't a native speaker of Spanish...

05/4/2014 3:04 am  #6

Thanks, Richard.

06/4/2014 11:12 am  #7

Looking at Jon's impressive collection of early album designs reminds me once again of the resources that Decca lavished on those early multiple sets. (They were literally albums - a book containing a collection of records, frequently three to six discs, and in the case of classics sometimes more).  They were really sparing no effort in supporting their leading stars.

This was at a time when a Mr Steinweiss claimed in later years to be the "inventor" of the graphic album cover for Columbia. Steinweiss was an extremely good graphic designer but categorically NOT the inventor or originator of the graphic album cover. He also designed a very unusual typeface or font that was very rounded and curly and which appeared on many of his record sleeves. 

The Decca album 69 "Decca Presents Bing Crosby In An Album Of Cowboy Songs" dates from November 1939 at the latest (illustrated by Jon), and Decca had issued a number of classical items in 1937, before Mr Steinweiss had even been appointed by Columbia. Others - Brunswick, Victor and British HMV were even earlier.  

Bing was also on an earlier issue - number 10 "Music Of Hawaii" in August 1938, though this had a rather less interesting design - a green spine with gold and brown "ethnic" pattern.

Interestingly younger brother Bob had album number 32 "Decca Presents The Bob Crosby Showcase" in January 1939. 

Board footera