10/9/2013 1:23 am  #1

Bing's voice on some recordings

Why does Bing's voice sound slow on some later recordings like NOW IS THE HOUR and some others? Did he do this or dtd someone decide to record it at a slower speed?

Peace and Love! 

10/9/2013 2:14 am  #2

Re: Bing's voice on some recordings

Carmela,

Bing's voice doesn't really sound slow to me on "Now Is the Hour." What happens is that it is a very slow ballad, and Bing takes it a very slow tempo, which in my opinion underscores the intimacy and sadness of the song. That being said, I suppose that singing it at such a slow tempo must have been his choice; I doubt that the song was recorded at a slower speed. What are the other songs on which his voice sounds slower to your ears?

10/9/2013 11:27 am  #3

Thanks for explaining Anton. I Love Bing's voice/music but the songs like the one mentioned above where he sounds slower aren't among my favorites.

Peace and Love! 

10/9/2013 11:29 am  #4

48blonde wrote:

Why does Bing's voice sound slow on some later recordings like NOW IS THE HOUR and some others? Did he do this or dtd someone decide to record it at a slower speed?

Carmela, 

As Anton says, though the piece is taken at a slow pace, I don't think that there is anything wrong.

I do wonder what medium you are using - LP/cassette/CD MP3 player - and equipment you might be playing your copy on? From experience I would say that when a slowly paced piece is played back in error at an even slower speed, it sounds more obviously wrong than faster paced items do.   

"Now Is The Hour" should take 3 minutes six seconds from first note to last. The CD copies I have vary between an indicated time of three mintes nine seconds and 3 minutes 11 seconds. The difference is of course attributable to the lead in and lead out silences.  Played at that speed I can detect nothing that sounds "wrong". 

Incidentally, while checking this out, I have been surprised by the number of versions which I have of "Now Is The Hour" - Burl Ives, Frank Sinatra, Marty Robbins, Horace Heidt, Guy Lombardo, Tommy Garrett, Werner Mueller,  an English folk group named The Yetties, and a group formed by the famous red coated elderly former British servicemen called the Chelsea Pensioners!!! - as well as the Maori original Po Atarau sung by Kiri Te Kanawa. Some of them take it a lot slower than Bing!

10/9/2013 11:40 am  #5

Richard, I didn't mean that something sounds wrong. I just don't favor those recordings. I've listened to that song from many CD's and on different radios/stereos and it sounds the same way. I'll have to check out the recordings you mentioned. Thanks Richard!

Peace and Love! 

10/9/2013 1:23 pm  #6

Richard,

Besides Bing's own version, my favorite reading of "Now Is the Hour" is the one that Frank Sinatra included in his little-known but very charming Reprise album Sinatra Sings Great Songs from Great Britain. The concept behind this album, recorded in the U.K., was to include songs written by English songwriters, but it looks like in the case of "Now Is the Hour," Sinatra extended his scope to the former British Empire...  Anyway, Sinatra's Great Britain album is mostly taken at a very slow pace, and it is highly recommendable.

11/9/2013 12:56 am  #7

Well, guys, I named my least favorite Bing recording. What is yours? I'm sure I won't like Sinatra's version of that song either but the album sounds interesting Anton. I am familiar with many Sinatra songs but don't know or have his whole catalog of songs. I love High Hopes/ New York, New York/ Summer Wind and Strangers in the Night. 

Peace and Love! 

11/9/2013 8:37 pm  #8

I agree with Jarbie. I don't think the recording of the song is slow - the song itself is long and slow. I used to dislike Now Is The Hour and another slow song Faraway Places. It did seem like Bing dragged on, but everyone who sings those songs sound the same way. Surprisingly, as I am getting older. I am liking those two songs a little bit more.

11/9/2013 8:55 pm  #9

'Former British Empire'? More commonly now as the British Commonwealth of Nations, which NZ is along with Australia (some people want a republic but not sure which way to go and certainly not a US style-so hopefully we'll stay put for some time), Canada, Fiji and numerous other countries.

11/9/2013 9:49 pm  #10

Ron Field wrote:

'Former British Empire'? More commonly now as the British Commonwealth of Nations, which NZ is along with Australia (some people want a republic but not sure which way to go and certainly not a US style-so hopefully we'll stay put for some time), Canada, Fiji and numerous other countries.

Ron,

My comment about the "former British Empire" was just a joke. I hope I didn't offend anyone by it. If so, I sincerely apologize.

11/9/2013 11:12 pm  #11

David, I guess the 2 songs will grow on me when I'm older and slower myself. But everyone was very helpful here. I now understand the recording more.

Peace and Love! 

12/9/2013 1:47 pm  #12

I have to mention- When I hear other singers singing Bing's songs, I don't enjoy them as much. It wasn't only that Bing had a great sounding voice, he KNEW how to use it for each song. An easy way to notice this is with the Christmas songs. The First Noel, Bing knew how to adjust his voice perfectly for the song. Silent Night again, Bing's interpretation-Perfect. Bing was a natural at it. Not many people can sing Christmas songs correctly. Bing was one of a few. Bing KNEW how to sing many types of songs, Hyms, Romantic Songs, Country, Jazz, ect..

Peace and Love! 

13/9/2013 6:12 pm  #13

Anton, No offence taken. Some folks aren't exactly sure of the situation.
When I was a lad, especially during the war years, the map of the world had a lot of 'red' on it - the British Empire as such.
Former Australian Prime Minister - (Sir) Robert Menzies said NO to the Aussie flag having a red background (it is blue) as he linked red with the commies - in the 50's. There had been a small move to change the background to red as NZ and a couple of other countries also had the blue background. Fiji has but their's is a 'sky blue' compared to a 'royal/dark blue.

17/9/2013 12:33 pm  #14

In my response to David, I was joking with him. I hope I didn't insult anyone. So sorry if I upset anyone here, I didn't mean to.

Peace and Love! 

17/9/2013 6:14 pm  #15

In regards to Now Is The Hour - a lot of songs in that era seem to be taken at a slow tempo. Listen to Dinah Shore's Lavender Blue or Nat King Cole's Nature Boy. I think around 1948 and 1949 those slow slow balads were in.

18/9/2013 3:30 pm  #16

There are a couple of songs recordings of which offer what seems like an abnormally deep version of Bing's voice, though I don't notice the tempo being wrong.  I can't seem to recall the titles at the moment, but they always startle me when they come up on a compilation I'm listening to.

08/10/2013 11:13 pm  #17

Now, if you talk about slow, how about this? Growing up and when I visited my grandmother she had an old gramophone and old 78's. Included was Bing's 'Thanks' with 'Black Moonlight'. Well, the gramophone had a speed dial on it so you could play from about 45 rpm to about 82 rpm.
This 78 was so worn that I had to slow it down to about 55rpm to have the record sound like Bing. How those 78's lasted so long having a heavy arm and steel needle, I just do not know.

22/10/2013 1:54 pm  #18

A lot of people didn't replace their steel needles after every 25 sides the needle played. After that the needles pretty much have worn down into a chisel!

Board footera