31/8/2013 1:23 am  #1

Fred MacMurray

Fred was born today August 30th, 1908. I read something about him that I didn't know. He played saxophone in the Gus Arheim Orchestra when Bing was lead vocalist and Russ Columbo was a violinist in the Orchestra [1930].

Peace and Love! 

31/8/2013 7:20 pm  #2

Re: Fred MacMurray

I have a CD - BIA - with a number of people singing on it including Fred. Just forget the song.
Marlene Deitrich is on it along with a favourite recording - Walter Huston singing (?) 'September Song'.

01/9/2013 6:51 am  #3

Ron Field wrote:

I have a CD - BIA - with a number of people singing on it including Fred. Just forget the song.
Marlene Deitrich is on it along with a favourite recording - Walter Huston singing (?) 'September Song'.

Ron, 

Would that be one of the "Live At The Coconut Grove" series? -  featuring various bands who played there?

01/9/2013 12:32 pm  #4

I know Fred had a nice voice from seeing him in SING YOU SINNERS, and I guess he really played the instruments in the movie. I didn't know about The Coconut Grove Series or the cd mentioned by Ron.

Peace and Love! 

01/9/2013 6:26 pm  #5

No, the CD is not a 'Coconut Grove' one. It has a number of artists on it and early recordings - 30's and earlier. Forget the title name of the CD.
My brother is going to Bermagui in a couple of weeks to play golf, I could have him look it up, if he has time between golf, stories after golf and drinkies.

Board footera