12/7/2013 3:41 pm  #1

Late Life Jazz: The Life And Career of Rosemary Clooney

The much awaited book by current and former editors of "Bing", Malcolm Macfarlane and Ken Crossland, is now available in the US.

Details here.

I fear that supplies for the UK will apparently not arrive for a few weeks.

I can think of no singer more closely associated with Bing, and very few in any professional capacity can be so closely identified with him. I'm sure that Bing has to feature lot.

15/7/2013 5:18 pm  #2

Re: Late Life Jazz: The Life And Career of Rosemary Clooney

A decent review here from The Cincinatti Enquirer. 

And I've just been enjoying myself during a swelteringly hot day, listening to Rosie singing through my collection, starting with a couple with Tony Pastor.

18/7/2013 1:36 am  #3

That's great news. I'll ask my local library in Bathurst, Australia, to add a copy to its collection.

26/8/2013 2:23 pm  #4

My copy of "Late Life Jazz" has been in my hands for a few days (delivered in UK somewhat later than availability in US) and I have not wasted any time before reading it. 

I have read a fair number of biographies of people in show business. Some are simple cut and paste jobs that recirculate items found in newspapers and magazines, giving evidence that the writers have barely stirred from their desks or at best taken a few trips to the local library. By definition these cannot be satisfying to true fans, who will be familiar with it all. 

Some seek out the sleazy and sensational (and where that is lacking they have been known to invent it). Some go further and contain anecdotes  from family and friends but without much sense of chronology or place.

Many are downright sycophantic, laden with transparent hero worship but lacking in fact and analysis. Then there are the manufactured conversations years after the described events, descriptions of thoughts and emotions and attribution of motivations that cannot be known to the writers other than as a purely speculative possibility.

Then, thankfully,  there are the really workmanlike jobs. A small minority. The facts assembled in an interesting, cohesive and chronological narrative without skirting the problems but equally without muck raking. They avoid the sycophancy but properly credit the successes. 

Such is "Late Life Jazz". And it is a masterpiece of it's type.   It is obvious even to those not already in the know that the research has involved  thousands of miles of travel, interviews with numerous people and visits to many archives.  The resultant facts have been assembled into a logical cohesive whole and emerge in a thoroughly readable way with proper regard to chronology, place, and personalities involved. 

The work follows the format used by the writers in their work on Perry Como. After the narrative we have a complete discography and listing of TV appearances.  Quite invaluable. And then a fairly comprehensive timeline of events - not quite "day by day",  more month by month. 
Of course Bing has numerous mentions. Rosemary's life and career interacted with Bing's for well over 20 years. 

I would go so far as to assert that any Crosby fan, let alone Clooney fan, should have this volume on their bookshelf both for reading and for reference.  

(As a personal additional comment, I'm pleased to see that I am not alone in disliking Buddy Cole's addition of his wretched pipe organ to otherwise first class recordings!)

Ken Crossland and Malcolm Macfarlane have delivered a highly satisfactory and readable book which also contains very good and comprehensive reference material. 

A reviewer on Amazon UK sees fit to compare the writers' book on Perry Como with the prices of his groceries in a supermarket.  He has the temerity to criticise the space taken up by the discography. Is that not part of the value of such works? To know what the artist in question has recorded or appeared in, and when? He lacks all sense of value, and is perhaps likely to prefer a few volumes of pulp fiction. They are for throwing away after reading (if you really read such). Works such as these dwell on your bookshelf, are referred to again and again, and when you finally have no further need of them they are disposed of by your grief-stricken family for hundreds of pounds/dollars. You don't believe me? See what "Bing Crosby: Day by Day" is currently fetching, used.   

Whilst I have to admit aquaintanceship with both the writers I am sure that this has in no way influenced my admiration for this work.  And if Mr Giddins is for any reason unable to deliver part 2 of his superb work on Bing, here is the ideal partnership to take up that challenge. 

Individually or together they have taken on Michael Holliday ("The Man Who Would Be Bing: The Life Story Of Michael Holliday"), Perry Como, ("Perry Como: A Biography and Complete Career Record"), Bing  (" Bing Crosby: Day by Day") and now Rosemary Clooney. 

And next  - - -?

26/8/2013 4:18 pm  #5

Many thanks, Richard. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments. We tried very hard to make the book a balanced view of Rosemary's career and I am pleased that you feel that we have succeeded. The book is beginning to appear in bookstores now and is of course available from Amazon both in the USA and the UK. I see that Waterstones are listing it in the UK now. The Washington Post may be reviewing the book on September1st and it will be interesting to see what they think.

As regards our next project... I had Andy Williams in mind, but at the moment I don't think I could face the enormous work load and the expense again. But who knows?

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (27/8/2013 6:48 am)

27/8/2013 6:57 pm  #6

Malcolm,
I thought that I was the next 'subject'.

27/8/2013 9:37 pm  #7

You would be a best-seller!

28/8/2013 6:07 pm  #8

I wasn't bad at selling 'The Sun' at the SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground) at rugby league 'match of the day' or when Test cricket was on. Sadly 'The Sun' died along with a lot of other afternoon newspapers.

28/8/2013 6:12 pm  #9

Actually I started to write some stuff from the start of life as I remember it but haven't done anything for a while. Perhaps I should get stuck into it a bit more often.
The title I'm using is "R. Field called Paddocks" (Paddocks being a long time nick name. Felix I still get called in some circles but the circle that called me 'Weeds' I wouldn't know where they are. I know there have been a few departures from this world).

02/9/2013 10:49 pm  #10

Our friends, Sepia Records, this month issue a CD of Rosemary, "ROSEMARY CLOONEY ON BROADWAY" SEPIA 1236.

30 showstoppers.

Details here 

http://www.sepiarecords.com/sepia1236.html

08/9/2013 10:22 am  #11

Reviewers, whether of books, records, or any form of artwork, have an absolute right to say that they do not like it. However, when what they say is clearly based on careless or downright incorrect assessment of the facts, they fail in their duty to their audience.

I was and remain enthusiastic about "Late Life Jazz". It strikes a balance between the personal and professional life of Rosemary. It gives the facts. Lots of them. Some of the more detailed facts are kept apart from the main narrative so that we have a very useful discography and "TV-ography" (sorry about that), and a timeline diary. Thus the reader of the narrative does not have to cope with obsessional asides that might obscure the main storyline. 

Others have the right to dislike that approach, or the general style. I might have an argument with them over it, but they still have the right to disagree with me.

What they should not do is adduce incorrect evidence to make their case.

The Washington Post has carried a review of "Late Life Jazz" which is negative. The reasons for the negativity are summarised by giving some alleged factual examples as to why the critic has reached his conclusions. Those alleged facts are in fact wrong and betray the fact that the reviewer has certainly not properly read the book. It would seem that at best he has done a quick skim through, failed to find something he thought he knew and concluded that the rest is wrong or falls short in some way. 

The review is here http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/rosemary-clooney-late-life-jazz-by-ken-crossland-and-malcolm-macfarlane/2013/08/28/ff5476fe-f912-11e2-8e84-c56731a202fb_story.html

Comments are shown here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/rosemary-clooney-late-life-jazz-by-ken-crossland-and-malcolm-macfarlane/2013/08/28/ff5476fe-f912-11e2-8e84-c56731a202fb_allComments.html.

In my comment I have pointed out that the reviewer has his facts wrong and I'm pleased to see that others agree.

I stick to my guns. The book is both a good and informative read and a valuable reference work.

09/9/2013 6:31 pm  #12

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to read Late Life Jazz yet, because I have ordered it at the new local bookstore, but they haven't received it yet. However, being acquainted with Malcolm and Ken's excellent past work, I don't believe the words of this reviewer for a second. I would even go as far as to say that he hasn't read the book thoroughly, as Richard implies, and that shows an incredible lack of respect for the work of any writer. That is, if I am going to review a book, the least I could do is read it thoroughly and critically, yet this reviewer's criticism seems unfounded and unnecessarily harsh. After reading his review, my impression was that he was seeking to state that he had known Rosie personally and that he had interviewed her, and that for that reason, whatever he had to say about this book on Rosie was more valuable than the book itself, and that is, of course, a fallacy. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on any book, I know, but not all opinions should be regarded as equally important. If a reviewer gives an opinion without having done his job properly (i.e., reading the book thoroughly), his or her opinion lacls interest to me.

That said, I can't wait to receive Late Life Jazz, and my intention is doing an interview with both authors for publication in my blog, The Vintage Bandstand. But, alas, that will be after I have read the book thoroughly!

18/9/2013 1:58 pm  #13

I am planning to make the book my next Christmas or birthday gift for myself.  I love Rosie and the range of her musical work, and consider her to have had a particularly unique personal and professional friendship with Bing.

Board footera