14/3/2013 3:50 am  #1

Bing's fans 'Down Under'

A small group of Crosby fans recently enjoyed a meeting at the Sydney home of the Australian representative of the International Club Crosby, David Currington. Among the treats we sampled were some rarely seen excerpts of Bing's performances on television show, including a masterful rendition of 'Both sides now' from the late 1960s. Among those present was the England-born Percy Waters who, as a young member of the RAF, saw Bing sing at the Queensberry All-Services Club in London in 1944. Percy must surely be the only Aussie resident who can now boast that, not that he's a boaster.

14/3/2013 4:31 pm  #2

Re: Bing's fans 'Down Under'

Not a lot of WWII veterans still around.  That generation is gone in my family.

It's nice to hear of Crosby fans gettting together.  I've never met any of my online fan friends face-to-face, living out in the boondocks as I do.

21/7/2013 5:59 pm  #3

As I am from 'Down Under' but now domicile in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S., this will have to do.
I have just realised that this year - 2013 - the day/dates are exactly the same as 1957.
I first left Australia on Friday 12th. July 1957 on the 'Oronsay' bound for Vancouver, Canada, where I landed on Monday 29th. July.
Then I headed for a trip down the West Coast by Greyhound and met Bing on Friday 2nd. August at the Seattle Seafair and again the following morning prior to the parade, as Bing was the Marshall.
Later on I got to meet brothers Bob and Larry.
So, whatever you were doing in 1957, the days are the same this year.
Have fun remembering.

21/7/2013 6:43 pm  #4

How interesting, Ron. Something to look back on.

Malcolm Macfarlane's "Day By Day" confirms Bing in Seattle - he records - 

"August 2, Friday. Dines out with Phil Harris at a restaurant in Seattle.

August 3, Saturday. Takes part in the grand parade at the Seafarers Carnival in Seattle. Later, at around 5:30 p.m., leaves Vancouver, British Columbia, on the yacht “Polaris” for a fishing trip to Rivers Inlet with George Rosenberg (his agent), Phil Harris, and William “Buster” Collier (a former silent-screen actor)."

2019 will be the next year with the same date/day pattern. 

22/7/2013 10:33 pm  #5

I confirmed those dates with Malcolm as he had some other info.
On that Saturday morning I was walking along the street and I nearly fell over as Bing was standing in the doorway of a shop. I had my 120 roll film Mamiya camera and quickly took photos of Bing as he kindly looked straight at the camera for me.
After several weeks I finally had the film processed when I returned to Vancouver. Imagine my horror when all the photos appeared on the one slide. Bing was smoking a cigarette and on the slide he had that cooming out of his nose, stuck in his ear. I was just so disappointed at the result.
Bing was very friendly on the Friday night when he came out of the restaurant (I'd waited over an hour and dared not leave the area). I introduced myself and he said that he received my note and talked then said to go see his brother in LA, meaning Larry. I got to meet Larry and also Bob after doing a TV charity benefit show.

23/7/2013 7:43 am  #6

Ron, I expect that the second edition of Malcolm's book will expand the entry for 2 August thus: Bing met Aussie fan, Ron Field.

23/7/2013 12:29 pm  #7

Richard, Is the book Day by Day still available?

Peace and Love! 

23/7/2013 1:22 pm  #8

48blonde wrote:

Richard, Is the book Day by Day still available?

Supplies were exhausted a while ago, but Malcolm updated it and placed it all on the internet, here 

http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/1903-1935.htm

A very generous gesture. 

23/7/2013 11:40 pm  #9

Ron Field, our friend from "Down Under" who landed in the US way back in 1957, as he has told us in his recent post, and then managed to meet Bing on several occasions, also met Bob Crosby.

He has sent me a photo and says -
"Photo taken with Bob Crosby - I think it was Sunday 18th. August (maybe 11th. August) 1957.
Bob has just finished being MC for a Fund Raising show".  

24/7/2013 6:45 am  #10

My next book is going to be "Ron Field - Day by Day".

24/7/2013 5:22 pm  #11

That's one I would definitely buy..!

24/7/2013 6:29 pm  #12

Malcolm,
When will we start?

24/7/2013 9:23 pm  #13

As long as you are happy to pay my travel expenses, I'll fly to Australia to begin the research. It may take some months interviewing everyone who knows you. 

24/7/2013 9:58 pm  #14

Might have to get to Leeds and do it. Oh, my name is Ron Field, not Rockefeller.

25/7/2013 4:52 pm  #15

Just picked up the April 1964 edition of BINGANG and amongst the new members is:
Ron Field, 24 Bristol Rd., Hurstville, Sydney, Australia.

Anyone we know?

25/7/2013 6:28 pm  #16

It was 'The Southern Cross Branch'.
In 1961 when I went to New Zealand, I met the then President Thelma Hardie in Christchurch, remembering correctly. She showed me a couple of items that Bing had sent her.

25/7/2013 6:30 pm  #17

It was because of 'The Club Crosby' and BINGANG that I met Priscilla Koernig in San Francisco, who very kindly showed me around, back in 1957.
The connections through Bing or rugby or golf has been terrific through my life.

25/7/2013 11:31 pm  #18

That must have been a renewal as I was a member prior to 1957 when I ventured overseas. In my letter to Bing, when he stayed in Seattle, at what is now the Fairmont and I met him outside of the restaurant with Phil Harris and co he had already read my letter and I had mentioned that I was a member of The Southern Cross branch.
I always sent Bing a note and when finally catching up with him he'd say that he received the note.
My biggest thrill was when he rang me at work at the Great Western Hotel, Paddington.

10/8/2013 11:16 pm  #19

That's a beaut photo Ron. I wonder what badge was in your lapel. I was not a member of Club Crosby and was not aware that the Southern Cross Branch was still going in 1964. During my research Barbara Woodfine, who was Barbara Doggett as the first Aussie president, was very helpful with information and lent me copies of the Aussie editions of BINGANG. Did you meet her? We still exchange Xmas cards. I'm still a member of the Australian Bing Crosby Society and, until a nfew years ago, was able to go to Melbourne once a year to a film night. I hjope to do so again in October this year.

12/8/2013 7:32 pm  #20

Not sure if it is 'The Southern Cross Branch' pin or maybe a kangaroo. No, I never met Barbara.
Then there was an Aussie member who was in Lillooet B.C. while I was living in Vancouver but I never got to meet her either.

Board footera