25/11/2012 12:58 pm  #1

Truly nothing that Bing didn't sing about

For most of the year Britain has been suffering from exceptional amounts of rain, such that barely a month has passed without some new records being set - the wettest spring on record - the wettest three months on record, - the sequence has been endless. Some areas have been flooded more than once. Now the effects have come closer to home and members of my own family have been flooded out by a rising river caused by extraordinarily heavy rain falling on already waterlogged ground over the last few days.

So my home has become a refuge for them and my attention has been directed to their needs over the last little while.

But Bing had the words - Rain and River, Stay 'Way From My Door are two that come immediately to mind. We were Ridin' Around In The Rain to rescue, fetch and carry, but I think we have new reached High Water and we can see some Blue Skies but I guess we'll be left with Muddy Water or just plain dirty mud,  though not of the Mississippi variety. Bing never sang ''Mud'' though there is such a song, sung by Michael Flanders and Donald Swann.

25/11/2012 3:33 pm  #2

Re: Truly nothing that Bing didn't sing about

Hope your family can soon return home. Very worrying for them.

25/11/2012 8:13 pm  #3

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Hope your family can soon return home. Very worrying for them.

Thank you, Malcolm.
Two adults, two children and three assorted animals plus a quantity of perishable foodstuffs now squeezed into our abode until things dried out and cleaned up.

Until then matters Bing will be taking a back seat.

Problem is that more rain is threatened!

03/12/2012 2:43 pm  #4

Richard, this sounds like a great time for lots of British "dry humor" to save the day. And, then too, family togetherness can have its joys. It's been rather droughty here most of the year, though with occasional light rains since August.  The pond on our place is the lowest we've seen it in 25 years.

04/12/2012 11:25 pm  #5

Heaps of rain here in the Pacific Northwest and some minor flooding has already started and no doubt it'll get worse.
Australia has been having its share of rain too. California is sliding away.

Board footera