05/11/2012 2:44 am  #1

What's Left To Be Released On CD?

Hi again!
A lot of Bing's music has been released recently on CD and I'm wondering if anyone has a list of what has NOT yet been released.  I could stumble through creating such a list on my own, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has this info at their fingertips.

The Decca recordings are covered by the Sepia and Jonzo series, a bunch of the latter-day LP's are covered by the recent CCM releases, the Mosaic box covers a good chunk of the Buddy Cole recordings.  The list is (happily) getting smaller and smaller.

To make the list even smaller and easier, I'm not too concerned about the LP's, such as That's What Life Is All About, etc.  They're easy enough to document.  I'm more interested in having a list of non-LP studio tracks, post-Decca.

Feel free to direct me to Jarbie's discography.  Just thought I'd ask you guys and girls first.

Thanks,
Greg

PS- and as for what's available on CD, I'm referring to CD's that are current and easily available online.  If a song is available on some obscure British CD from 20 years ago, I consider it M.I.A. and it qualifies for my list.

05/11/2012 3:34 pm  #2

Re: What's Left To Be Released On CD?

Greg wrote:

Hi again!
I'm more interested in having a list of non-LP studio tracks, post-Decca.

Feel free to direct me to Jarbie's discography.  Just thought I'd ask you guys and girls first.

Thanks,
Greg

PS- and as for what's available on CD, I'm referring to CD's that are current and easily available online.  If a song is available on some obscure British CD from 20 years ago, I consider it M.I.A. and it qualifies for my list.

Hmmm - ''Non LP studio tracks''. I wish I knew. Who knows what might be buried in that vault, though I doubt there is very much that is totally new. I can well imagine that there are alternative takes (we have had a few) but I wonder, following the issue of ''On The Sentimental Side'' whether there is much. Anyone any idea?

As an aside it is depressing that there has been little evidence to the outside world of much activity from BCE of late. Two obvious mileposts (Bing's birthday and death anniversary) have been passed this year with nothing to refresh our enthusiasm. We live in hope that there is still much behind the scenes activity that in early course will have us straining at the leash to put our money down.

I might be guilty of redefining your criteria a little, but going backwards chronologically, some of the least issued, unissued or just hard to get in CD terms are:-

'Now You Has Jazz' and Sail Away From Norway' 4 October 1977 (not, frankly, a terrible loss)
'Don't Get Around Much Anymore' 1977 (a really great track)

'White Christmas' from 1976 (not issued at the time for contractual reasons, and I have no idea what it is like)
The 'Tom Sawyer' readings from 1975.

'It's Not Where You Start (It's Where You Finish)' and 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree' from 1973

'Christmas Star' and 'We Love Old St Mary's' also from 1973 but issued on a fund raising record for the church of 'Old St Mary's'. It might be possible that Bing gave the rights to the church.

'If I Had A Hammer' from the 1972 Basie sessions - It sounds ok to me and I can't understand why it was not issued.

All of the tracks from 'A Time To Be Jolly' LP from 1970 and 1971 which I have recently had occasion to re-hear, and it is worth reissue.

The 'Goldilocks' tracks from 1969
'Hey Jude, Hey Bing' tracks from 1968

Almost all the 'Longines' tracks from 1965 and 1968
The 'Road To Hongkong' tracks of 1961

'The Music Of Home', 'The New Ashmoleon Marching Society and Students Conservatory Band', 'It's A Good Day', and
'Aloha Means I Love You' all from 1960 and so far as I am aware only issued on an EP in Australia which is very odd considering that they are very worthwhile songs.

Then there are the children's narratives with songs, which have been ignored (with the exception of ''Jack B Nimble''),
and a few other items that are included in some listings such as a biblical reading, a tribute to Michael Holliday, which I suspect do not count for these purposes.

Then there is a fair old chunk of the Singalong recordings. I for one was surpised that the opportunity of adding 'On the Happy Side' to 'On The Sentimental Side' in the Collector's Choice issue of a couple of years ago.

I'm sure others might add to or correct the inevitable omissions and errors here. So much depends on the view you take about availability of records. Some of us have long memories and are very surprised that a CD that we thought was issued a couple of years ago has not been available for the last ten.

08/5/2020 6:22 pm  #3

Re: What's Left To Be Released On CD?

From the "A Time To Be Jolly" LP, do we know if Bing actually recorded "An Old Fashioned Christmas"?

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

Board footera