02/10/2012 3:48 pm  #1

New Blog Page: Books (Including a Few on Bing, of Course)

Anybody here remember books? They're those bulky old eReaders that don't require batteries, gathering dust on your shelves as you pore over the Internet. I still read and love books, and have amassed a collection over the years that includes several interesting volumes on a variety of subjects, including a few first editions. I've started a new blog page dedicated to same -- sort of an online museum. Naturally there are a few having to do with Bing, notably the 1946 and 1948 editions of Dr. Mize's Bing Crosby and the Bing Crosby Style, and of course Gary Giddins' Pocketful of Dreams (hopefully everyone here has their own copy of the latter, which is indispensable). Feel free to browse... there will, of course, be periodic additions as the virtual shelves are restocked.

http://derbingle.blogspot.com/p/off-topic-iii-books.html

02/10/2012 9:01 pm  #2

Re: New Blog Page: Books (Including a Few on Bing, of Course)

I not only remember books but I have avoided eReaders and kindles. Those things will make everyone blind. Great post on your blog!

03/10/2012 11:17 am  #3

My own personal library is my life! I couldn't live without books! Some reasons why books are so much better than a Kindle:

You don't have to re-charge books
You can't autograph a Kindle
A kindle doesn't smell like a book
You don't have to close your book during takeoff/landing
You can't read a kindle in the bath!

03/10/2012 2:53 pm  #4

Books have character, something which will never be said of Kindle. Regarding antique books, a friend of mine put it best: "I think Marley's ghost is ten times more ghostly if the page on which you read about him is a hundred years old."

04/10/2012 1:10 am  #5

While I am not opposed to Kindles, I don't have one and much prefer books, and I have a very large collection of books on several subjects, particularly on vintage jazz, swing, and the crooners. My wife and I also collect antique books and have quite a few from the nineteenth and eighteenth centuries, so I couldn't agree more with the quote from Jon O.'s friend. I feel exactly the same way when I read an antique edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula or Edgar Allan Poe's tales!

05/10/2012 6:21 am  #6

Several items have been added, including Barry Unanov's The Incredible Crosby (1948) with dust jacket, a 1964 novelization of Robin and the 7 Hoods, and a signed, inscribed copy of Bing Crosby: Day by Day by our own Malcolm Macfarlane.

http://derbingle.blogspot.com/p/off-topic-iii-books.html

08/11/2012 10:05 pm  #7

I don't own an e-reader. Though one might be fun, getting one isn't a priority for me. I own a lot more books than recordings, though at this point in life I'm listening more than reading. This makes me think of books-on-tape which were popular with many people--I could never listen to them while driving.  I commune with the landscape when I drive, but for some reason listening to narrative interfered with that in ways listening to music never did.  I like that I can annotate passages of an old-fashioned book.  I like the way it works even if the power goes out...even at night if one has a form of light that doesn't plug into the wall.

Board footera