02/8/2012 8:34 pm  #1

On This Day

It was on this day - (Friday) 2nd. August 1957,  that I first met Bing in Seatlle. He was there as a Marshall. Phil Harris was with Bing and after this event they went to Canada to go fishing.
I waited outside a restaurant to meet Bing and I was as nervous as anything when I finally confronted him.
I also saw him the next day before the Seafarers Parade standing in the doorway of a shop. I took 3 or 4 photos of him on my Mamiya 120 camera (slides). Couldn't wait to have the slides developed (the film was the roll type). When the slides came back all the shors were on the same frame, as I had rolled the film too quickly. So Bing had a cigarette coming out of his nose, his ear, his cheek and mouth.
I met him a couple of more times after that.
Then I met my present wife on a Greyhound Bus and it was Bing's fault.
I was travelling from Seattle to Kelso (Washington). Got off the bus in Tacoma and took a couple of photos near the depot and when I went back inside, my bus had departed. I finally caught up with it and when I re-boarded, Anita was sitting in the seat where I had been.
Thus started a long friendship with her and the family and finally was married on 10th. August 2003, after both having been married before joining hands.

03/8/2012 12:09 am  #2

Re: On This Day

Great stories - about you and Bing and you and your wife!

03/8/2012 6:15 pm  #3

Thanks. That should have read 'Seafairers".

06/8/2012 3:24 pm  #4

Ron, now if you had sent a print of the picture of Bing with the cigarette coming out of his ear to Bob Hope, Bob would have gotten more than a little comedy mileage out of it!

15/8/2012 5:04 am  #5

Well Ron, there was a popular song 'Love on a Greyhound bus' and I wondered if it was inspired by your meeting Anita but I suppose it was written before you two met. Belated anniversaray greetings from Bathurst. Cheers from Graham

15/8/2012 5:23 pm  #6

I hadn't heard of that song until years later and it is on one of Bing's radio show CD's.

Board footera