27/5/2012 10:03 pm  #1

Coconut Grove

Have just received in the mail 'Collector's Music' latest catalogue.
They are showing - SALE-new release- Gus Arnheim: Echoes from the Coconut Grove 1931.
The contents states the tracks are 1931 radio transcriptions and two are Bing Crosby - Out Of Nowhere; What Is It.
Other tracks listed are Love For Sale; Sweet Georgia Brown; At Your Command; You Said It...20 in all. Listed at $13.98 plus shipping.
Check the complete list at- www.ccmusic.com

28/5/2012 6:09 am  #2

Re: Coconut Grove

Nice to see this reissue. This was first issued on CD in 1995 having originally been on LP in the early 80s. Full details can be found at http://take2records.com/album/Gus_Arnheim--Echos_From_The_Cocoanut_Grove.html

28/5/2012 9:33 am  #3

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Nice to see this reissue. This was first issued on CD in 1995 having originally been on LP in the early 80s. Full details can be found at http://take2records.com/album/Gus_Arnheim--Echos_From_The_Cocoanut_Grove.html

The original issue was one of a matching series of three - the others being of Jimmie Grier and Phil Harris at the Cocoanut Grove. No more Bing though.

A friend played these through to me a few years back. They are good for radio broadcasts of the time. 

According to Barry McCanna who writes on the Yahoo Dance Band bulletin site, on one track (Loyce Whiteman's 'By A Lazy Country Lane')  the introduction has been artificially adjusted.  Again the originals had informative booklets, and I assume that the apparently straight reissue will be the same.

Take2 records have other issues that might interest any who like music of the period. Their list includes three entitled 'The First Crooners' - Several tracks from Bing, plus Rudy Vallee, Russ Columbo, Gene Austin et al, though by volume 3 we are getting Perry Como and Buddy Clark. Enjoyable but 'First crooners'?  Second wave, surely?

http://take2records.com/catalog/

09/6/2012 3:45 am  #4

Ron Field wrote:

Have just received in the mail 'Collector's Music' latest catalogue.
They are showing - SALE-new release- Gus Arnheim: Echoes from the Coconut Grove 1931.
The contents states the tracks are 1931 radio transcriptions and two are Bing Crosby - Out Of Nowhere; What Is It.
Other tracks listed are Love For Sale; Sweet Georgia Brown; At Your Command; You Said It...20 in all. Listed at $13.98 plus shipping.
Check the complete list at- www.ccmusic.com

Ron, it was the first thing I circled in my CC catalogue, too.  I confess I hold a grudge against them since they dropped carrying any of the Crosby legacy series cds.  But I might order that one.  It does sound interesting.

09/6/2012 6:12 pm  #5

Mine arrived Friday but I haven't played it yet.
I don't think it was CC's choice to drop Bing as I think it was the Crosby office.
Malcolm will be able to verify this.

10/6/2012 6:14 am  #6

Ron, you should not blame Bing Crosby Enterprises for the Collectors Choice situation. I explained the matter in BING magazine #158 (summer 2011) and this is part of what I said.

"Members may be wondering why there have not been any announcements of new releases by Bing Crosby Enterprises (BCE) and Collectors’ Choice Music (CCM). By way of background, we had news that CCM and its sister companies including Deep Discount DVD, Critics’ Choice Video, Heartland Music and Serenade Music, were sold by Infinity Resources to California-based entertainment media wholesaler Super D in November 2010.
Jeff Walker, President of Super D, confirmed that the company’s decision to purchase Infinity’s assets was largely to acquire the lucrative Deep Discount website.
The Orange County Register reported Walker’s statement that Super D is “moving our business toward direct-to-consumer sales rather than retailers because there are fewer stores with less selection"  and that the company is “moving more into DVDs and a good portion of Infinity is in DVDs."  Super D’s press release makes no mention of the catalogue’s label operations, concentrating only on the acquisition of the companies’ massive inventories. (Through its catalogue, CCM offers releases from all labels as well as those produced in-house.)
We have since heard that Gordon Anderson (who worked closely with Robert Bader on the Bing releases) has stepped down from his post as Senior Vice President and General Manager of CCM. The Collectors’ Choice label is now just a small part of Super D’s business and with no new announcements about Crosby releases, it may be that BCE will be looking for different outlets in the future. Meanwhile, it is worrying to see that The Crosby Christmas Sessions, The Crosby-Clooney Radio Sessions and Bing Crosby Sings the Sinatra Songbook CDs are no longer being offered by CCM on its web site. Amazon still has the Christmas CD on offer but it says that it has run out of the other two releases. Fortunately the tracks are still available as downloads.
The demise of the compact disc has been forecast for a year or two now as downloads and other forms of digital storage become more popular. It may well be that those companies selling CDs are cutting back on costs to survive and this may mean even less stock is held.
The lesson now is to buy any new releases from Bing Crosby Enterprises as soon as you see them and I apologise for suggesting in an earlier issue that the CCM CDs would remain available for some time."

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (10/6/2012 6:15 am)

10/6/2012 7:17 pm  #7

Thanks, Malcolm.
I knew you would have an answer.
I must start looking more at the BCE site as I hardly ever go there.

Board footera